Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Crime Stats

The 2004 national crime statistics report is out. If you are writing a screenplay involving crime, you should have this handy; you should know if your crime is common or unusual, or if your suspect is aberrant.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/documents/CIUS2004.pdf

For example; slightly more blacks than whites were murdered in 2004; that's in numbers, not percentage. In fact, blacks are murdered at about 5 times what you would expect given their population percentage.

BUT, of these murdered blacks, 92% were killed by other blacks! This means that blacks murder other blacks at 45 times the expected frequency!!! On the other hand, whites kill blacks at about 1/8 the expected frequency (whites kill other whites 84% of the time which is about 1 and a half times expected).

If you were a cop and had a black murder to solve, your most likely perp is a another black. If your victim is white, the most likely perp is also white. Since white perp, black victim is relatively rare, you have to wonder what's really going on when it happens, ie, racial motivation?

Another interesting factoid is that overall, you are just as likely to be murdered by a stranger than by a family member. More likely you will be killed by someone you know that is not a family member. Also, employees killing bosses only accounts for 1% of murders.

The report has all kind of crimes diced by race, sex, age, region, type of city, and so on. BTW, you are almost twice as likely to be forcibly raped in the midwest compared to the northeast (a big surprise to me).

Anyway, I hope this will be helpful.
    PteranoDon
    New User
    Last edited by PteranoDon; 10-17-2005, 11:29 AM. Reason: url of stat page

Re: 2004 Crime Stats

What about "People killed by people they pissed off on a message board?" -- because this one worries me on occasion.

Comment

Re: 2004 Crime Stats

I didnt look for internet inspired murders--the report is over 300 pages.

But it's one more reason not to let the cyber world and the real world intersect.

Comment

Working...
      X