Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with a young Protagonist

When writing a script with a child as the protagonist (ages 10-13) does this pose certain problems? No doubt it would be difficult for someone that age to handle that kind of workload. I think back to Culkin in Home Alone, and more recently the Harry Potter movies but this kid would be closer to 10.

Another thing is that this young character will act more like an adult (ie. will use foul language and sexual references). Is this going to be a hard sell? Will it be difficult to find young actors/actresses to play these parts?

TT
    I wanna tell you about the time I almost died....

Re: Problems with a young Protagonist

I wouldn't think the big problem would be casting. There's plenty of eager actors out there, even young ones. Not knowing your story, it's hard to be definite, but it sounds like the biggest hurdle would be finding financing or distribution for a controversial film featuring a minor. These days, the US anyway is very touchy about children and sexuality.

If you want to sell the script to a major studio, yeah, that's probably going to be a tough sell, just because there will always be plenty of scripts that won't get them in hot water. That doesn't mean there aren't people with the power to get a script like that greenlit anyway, and if you're really lucky you could get someone like that so in love with your story that they're willing to weather the storm. But it's a smaller window to get through.

The other route to get something like that made is independent production. There, be aware that casting children adds to your budget because of extra stuff you have to have on set - teachers, people to make sure the child isn't being mistreated and whatnot. Shorter working days, which means more working days which means you have to pay everyone for those extra days. That's one reason so many high school students are played by people well above high school age. It's just easier to work with adults.

All this isn't to say you shouldn't proceed if you really believe in your story. Just be aware that, while I don't think finding a child actor to play the part would be a serious problem, you will definitely face other problems.

good luck

john

Comment

There aren't many kids who can open films so the options will be extremely limited. Keep in mind kids don't usually open movies for adults.
      Fortune favors the bold - Virgil

Comment

Yeah, but if there are adults around this young protag you can plug in your big names there.

But I agree your chances are better going the independent route. It's hard to sell movies starring kids that aren't for kids on a broad scale. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Stand By Me.
        "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"
        "If I didn't have inner peace I'd totally go psycho on you guys all the time." - Carl Carlson

Comment

Even with Stand by Me being based on King's The Body, it was very tough, no one wanted to make it.
          Fortune favors the bold - Virgil

Comment

In "The Good Son" Culkin's character was extremely violent and foul mouthed. He might of been atleast 13 at the time though, still very shocking after his "Home Alone" movies.

"Birth" starring Nicole Kidman and Cameron Bright. Kidman's character becomes convinced that a ten year old boy (Bright) is the reincarnation of her dead husband. Bright also played in "The Butterfly Effect" as young Tommy Miller, Kayleigh's violent brother.

Steph
            "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." --T.S. Eliot

Comment

Working...
            X