Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referencing other actors in your script

is it inbounds or against any rules to reference a famous actor that is currently working but not in your film? like say your character makes a joke about Brad Pitt or your female protagonist is in love with Tom Cruise
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Re: Referencing other actors in your script

I think it's dangerous ground. Tom and Brad better have something to do with the story. It's not out of bounds, but it can make a reader wince. I think that's why my Oprah script gets no respect.

Comment

Well I don't know about mentioning actors in your script, but I certainly wouldn't mention Brad or Tom since they have both recently alienated three quarters of the female population.

Comment

It can take you out of the read. Like a topical joke. Then again, there's always Marshall McLuhann in ANNIE HALL, or Bob McKee in ADAPTATION. Both films are a blast, if only to see how many "rules" of screenwriting they lambaste.

Comment

Scott Frank's OUT OF SIGHT came up in another thread. Take a look at conversation in trunk of car; mentions Faye Dunnaway, Warren Beatty, and Peter Finch.

Comment

Working...
          X