No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something unusal?

Good day:

I'm not usually good at writing this type of genre outside the Sci-Fi/Fantasy realm, but I have this interesting concept (based my my late aunt) who so happened to have worked privately for TRC- (homeland security) to catch criminals who launder money in her bank. My idea is based on it, with some interesting twist - maybe I haven't revealed it out completely, or perhaps I need a little kick in the head regarding this - if any one online here has any suggestions to the matter, I am open.

I can reveal more of the idea openly if it doesn't impose on someone stealing the idea (story)? I just like to know if the concept is cool enough, emotionally and visceral enough to drive a reader/audience into the story?

Anyone want to discuss it further?
    D. Alin
    http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Re: Something unusal?

Here's an idea, if you're not comfortable revealing the premise on DD. (However, most writers would never, ever... steal a... )

Anyway, tell the idea/story to ten of your friends or family. If the reaction they have is-- that blank look, eyes glassed over, stunned expression afterwards... then you know you need to work on it or (gasp) dump it.

Common people are your audience. I use this all the time. And, you'd be amazed how wrong you can be with a concept. You want the story to appeal to a wide audience-- as in sell tickets. So, if the general public person doesn't get it, most certainly a reader won't either.

Good Luck,

G.

Comment

That's what I do. I ask people I know who don't write if they'd be interested in a movie like such-n-such.

Talk to the people who'd go watch your movie.

Comment

Late Aunt? Mmmm? Interesting.

Forgive the crass rush to story as opposed to offering my condolonces. I think it's a good set up for a paranoid thriller.
        http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Whether or not people would like the story, if you think its something that should be written or seen you should write it. Maybe in the process you will find out for yourself if it's interesting enough. After you've dealt with your own doubts, I think, only then you can accept what people might think.

Just my opinion.

Comment

An idea isn't going to sell the script. The best an idea can do is get people to read it. Homeland security, money laundering, it's all good. I'd take a look.

However the question isn't whether or not the idea is interesting, but whether or not the story is entertaining. And the entertainment value of a story isn't so much a function of how good the idea is.

Comment

The concept sounds interesting, but it is the characters who will make the story. I always write concept stories, well, I always come up with concepts before I have a story or characters, but after I map out the concept, I focus on the characters and do everything to make it a character driven story and not a concept piece. But I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by echo2218
                The concept sounds interesting, but it is the characters who will make the story. I always write concept stories, well, I always come up with concepts before I have a story or characters, but after I map out the concept, I focus on the characters and do everything to make it a character driven story and not a concept piece. But I could be wrong.
                Thanks - I thought as much, some of you guys have shared your greatest idea and interest. I posted a small sample of my starts, hopefully it will be enough to gather anticipation for the READER - audience, etc. It's not even a page long, but I posted it, hopefully someone out there will read it (short as it is) and tell me what they think.

This message board is fantastic, and I enjoy being a part of it, and continue to do so with some intriguing feed back to pursue this avenue. Characters are extremely important, and I intend to make those dollar tickets soar!

D.Alin
                D. Alin
                http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

Working...
                X