Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about development process

hey guys. how do you write a screenplay?

no, seriously.

when u write your script do you write an outline AND synopsis or do you just do one or the other? i am writing a synopsis with this new project and i am finding it easier to road map my story and catch problems...a lot easier than outlining. are these methods supposed to serve two different purposes?

excuse me if this is a dumb question
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Re: Question about development process

Generally (though, not always) (obviously, there's some overlap with these stages):

- brainstorming and research
    - synopsis
    - brief outline
    - more research
    - more brainstorming (start exploring theme)
    - in-depth character work (in addition to what I did during the b&r phase)
    - full outline (sometimes around 25 pages, courier 12, single-spaced; it reads like a numbered treatment)
    - first draft
    - put it away for at least two weeks
    - rewrite city
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Comment

yea thas pretty much me too, i dont know how some people actually just write the script from scratch without character development, outline, etc. just makig it up as they go.
      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

I'm new at this but this seems to work for me.

First I write a one page treatment, so I know my story.
        then I do a chatactor development, how I was tought in acting school.

then I draft out my 3 act structure and fill in all the pinch and plot points as a rough scetch, then I start writing my scenes to those points.

this may sound wierd, but it works for me.
        actor
        Last edited by ACTOR; 11-22-2005, 10:31 AM.

Comment

I walk around thinking about the plot until I have a good idea about what happens.

Some research, not a lot, just enough to know if I'm interested.

Characters -- basic (male or female, ages)

I write short stories instead of outlines or treatments. I like interacting with the characters during the highpoint of the story.

If all goes well, research.

Then I write. I have a good idea about plot, but I usually don't know much more than how it ends (an image or something) and I spend/waste a lot of time trying to get from where I am to where I know I want it to be.

I don't like to drive with the help of maps either. I have a good sense of direction and I'd rather feel my way through or have the experiences that come from getting lost/sidetracked. One of the things I love most about writing is when my characters take over and take me for the ride with them. I'm always afraid that if I do the outline method I'll be so focused on sticking to the outline the characters won't come to life. That said, my next script will be completely outlined before I write a word (my advisor wants me to try it that way and I can't see any reason not to try it)

Comment

I'm really disorganized about it. I try to outline, end up writing bits and pieces of a treatment, try to fit it back into an outline, more treatment, then give up for awhile, revisit it six months later and write a new treatment, then outline, then start on the script, then trash half the treatment, then rearrange the outline, then realize the story doesn't fit a screenplay structure. A few months later I get an idea that changes the story back to a movie and I finish the script. Or something like that.

Comment

I'm an organized freak so I do everything by the book.

-I do a lot of thinking.
              -Write down all things I need to research.
              -Research
              -Figure out the main elements-Begining, ending, plot points, pinches, ect.
              -Write a brief paragraph of the story, so I don't stray.
              -More research
              -Write a four page treatment. (Let my ideas flow)
              -Write a rough draft outline.
              -Reaffirm main elements.
              -Think about my characters
              -Rewrite treatment.
              -Rewrite outline
              -Put scenes on index cards.
              -I'm ready to go!

This takes about two weeks.

Steph
              -
              "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." --T.S. Eliot

Comment

Working...
              X