Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plots and concepts based on books

The Sixth Sense....was this movie an original concept or based from a book? it seems lately some of the best movies i have seen have been based on books.
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Re: Plots and concepts based on books

I seem to recall it was based on one Shyamalan's very early ideas where the dead guy was a grandfather. (or the grandfather sees dead people - maybe not) Where he got the idea for that I don't know.

Are you saying you like it because it was a book?
    Or, don't like it because it's not?
    "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
    - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

It was an original idea, but the ending was based on a famous Ambrose Bierce short story (which inspired a movie that became an episode of Twilight Zone) and a bunch of other movies.

(And yet, it was hailed as completely groundbreaking and original! A twist for the ages! lol; I bow to Shyamalan for pulling that one off.)
      I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Comment

Originally posted by Rex V
        It was an original idea, but the ending was based on a famous Ambrose Bierce short story (which inspired a movie that became an episode of Twilight Zone) and a bunch of other movies.

(And yet, it was hailed as completely groundbreaking and original! A twist for the ages! lol; I bow to Shyamalan for pulling that one off.)
        i knew it, lol. i jus was talking to a friend about this movie and he was saying it was completely original (the ending) and i jus found that hard to believe. it jus seems like all the movies i have seen and liked turned out to be based on a book or somebody else's work. not saying nothins wrong with that....i jus hold off on how much credit i give people now.
        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley
          Are you saying you like it because it was a book?
          Or, don't like it because it's not?
          i like it either way. jus wondered if it was his original idea....i guess i found the answer to my own question.

According to M. Night Shyamalan, the movie was inspired by an episode of "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" (1992) called "The Tale of the Dream Girl" in which both male leading characters are ignored by somebody and don't realize that they are dead until the final moment. In the tale of the dream girl, the boy notices that his sister who can see him shows him the newspaper of him and his girlfriend dead.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

It wasn't the twist that was original or inventive, we've seen that before. It was his exicution of the twist, you know- the rest of the movie, that was original and inventive.

Willis's realization of his own death was a completion of a character arc, but since they spent so much time with the character convincing himself, and the audience, that he wasn't dead the twist comes off with a lot more power.

Comment

It's interesting to note the difference between "inspired by" and "based on."

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I liked the movie.

But I *really* liked the the other movies (and stories) that did it first. Much more than The Sixth Sense.

And I thought Stir of Echoes, which came out the same year, was a superior Supernatural Thriller.

Where were its Oscar nominations? (Okay, maybe The Sixth Sense had some dramaturgical advantages but, hey, dramaturgy isn't... gasp... shudder... everything. /runs from Deus)

Edit: I liked The Sixth Sense script better than the movie.
              Last edited by Rex V; 12-13-2005, 10:09 AM.

Comment

i liked the script too. i think he's a good writer. his stuff is very visual and clear.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

I'm actually a huge fan of Unbreakable.

Yes, I'm one of the few in existence. Don't tap my cage or feed me junk food.

i liked the script too. i think he's a good writer. his stuff is very visual and clear.
                  Absolutely. He knows the language of film inside and out and is great at creating a movie "on the page."

Comment

Originally posted by Rex V
                    I'm actually a huge fan of Unbreakable.

Yes, I'm one of the few in existence. Don't tap my cage or feed me junk food.
                    no, lol, i liked unbreakable too. the only thing i didnt like that he did was The Village. It was a good suspense but at the end i was kinda like, damn i been eachin this for the last 2 hours to see this type of ending?

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

SIXTH SENSE was an original screenplay.

- Bill
                      Free Script Tips:
                      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Working...
                      X