No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a famous quote

Hello all,

I heard a quote once and I want a character in my script to say it, but I don't know the the author or the exact quote. Can anyone help?

It goes something like this....

A man dies three deaths, his actual death, the death of the last person to know him and the death of anyone related to him(?)

I would be ever so grateful for any assistance.

M

Re: Need help with a famous quote

Originally posted by The Critic
    Hello all,

I heard a quote once and I want a character in my script to say it, but I don't know the the author or the exact quote. Can anyone help?

It goes something like this....

A man dies three deaths, his actual death, the death of the last person to know him and the death of anyone related to him(?)

I would be ever so grateful for any assistance.

M

ASK VIG. HE 'S USED IT AS HIS SIGNATURE IN THE PAST. MAYBE VIG IS THE AUTHOR. HE'S EMINENTLY QUOTABLE.

######

Comment

Well, from Jaiminiopanishad Brahmana: A man dies three times. He dies first when he is seeded into the womb by his father. Second, when he is initiated into the yagnas. Third, when his body is put on the pyre.

I don't think that's what you want.

The quote you're looking for comes from the Day of the Dead tradition, where Mexicans believe that people die three deaths. I believe that the quote is a part of the fable, but if it can be quoted to anyone, I'd say it's probably something from Octavio Paz, the Great Mexican Poet and Nobel winner.
      "A man dies three times; once when he stops breathing, once when he is laid in the grave, and finally when he is forgotten."

I can't find this quote in my Paz books, so I can't be certain, but he did say: "The Mexican is familiar with death, jokes about it, caresses it, sleeps with it, and celebrates it. It is one of his favorite playthings and his most steadfast love," which has nothing to do with your question, but is just plain cool.

I know this doesn't help you, but I found out today that I really like single-malt scotch.

Comment

Thank you so much Toastmaster, that is exactly what I needed. Brilliant and funny.

Critic

Comment

Working...
        X