This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the one thing about craft...

that can't be taught? And when people say you have to be born with it, does it really hold true?
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Re: What is the one thing about craft...

passion...
    One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

It's not a mystery why the great artists of the world and
      screenwriters on DD are predominantly male.

Males are visual.
      myhomeconvalesceblog

Comment

instinct.

Comment

Curiosity.

Comment

Talent. All humans are born with a certain level of curiosity, and instinct; If not we wouldn't survive long outside the womb. Talent is the one thing you are born with and can't teach - If you have talent, you have great instincts and high intelligence (which is important for a screenwriter).

Men are usually more dedicated to their interests and hobbies than women because men are more willing to endure isolation and sacrifice family life for their passion. That's the main reason why today you see more men reaching greater heights in their respected fields than women. However it wasn't until the late 20th century that it finally became socially acceptable for women to pursue other avenues outside the home. 50 % of the world (includes Africa, Asia and the middle east) haven't caught up to speed yet and might not for another 50 years.

BTW (IMO) I haven't seen any one here on DD who I would consider to be a great writer, yet. Most women don't post their work on DD. They usually post on Zoetroppe and the talent level there is rougly the same.

My 0.02

Comment

Originally posted by HD writer
              Men are usually more dedicated to their interests and hobbies than women because men are more willing to endure isolation and sacrifice family life for their passion. That's the main reason why today you see more men reaching greater heights in their respected fields than women.
              My 0.02
              Wrote a long reply to this that included a history lesson on social attitudes and the educational and career opportunities that have been afforded to men but not extended to women .... and then realized it could all be boiled down into a single sentence -

What a sexist crock of bull.
              It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Exit Stage Right
                Wrote a long reply to this that included a history lesson on social attitudes and the educational and career opportunities that have been afforded to men but not extended to women .... and then realized it could all be boiled down into a single sentence -

Generally, I use this equation:

the opposite of HD Writer's post = correct.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy
                  Curiosity.
                  HD Writer-

I was trying to maintain the trend of one word answers.

Of course all humans are born with instinctive curiosity that serves as self defense and self-preservation. "What's that smell?" "What was that noise?" "I wonder if I can eat that?"

I was speaking of the type of intellectual curiosity about the things that matter most. All great drama reveals human truths. Why do we hate? Why are we self-destructive? What the hell does anything really matter anyway?

I wonder about things like: Why are roughly half of the voters in this country Repulican and half Democrat? Why are half the adults married and half unmarried? Why will half of the married ones get divorced and half not? (it's scary how close to exactly 50% most of these things are).

Is there some subconscious duality governing human behavior that is dooming us to never get along?

Anyway, might not be the greatest example ever of what I'm talking about, but I almost never hear people talking about big ideas when it comes to writing (especially on this board) and that's too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by J off course
                    It's not a mystery why the great artists of the world and
                    screenwriters on DD are predominantly male.

Males are visual.
                    BS. Any serious study of the arts, written or visual, will show that there are women who are just as talented and skilled as men. they don't need as much attention for it as men do, so they put their name out there less. Men are attention whores.

But what can't be taught? Dedication.

In four upper division writing classes at my college, there was usually a class of about 15. In each class, the teacher told us that only one A would be given. Only the most talented and dedicated writer would get that A for the class.

I got the A all four times.

Not because I was the most talented, in the early classes there were writers that were beter than I was, but because I was the most dedicated. Those other two would blow small assignments off. They wouldn't turn in re-writes. They didn't spend hours going back over their material to improve it.

So, in the last class it was clear that I was a much better writer than either of them. Because I was dedicated to improving my skills, increasing my talent, and expanding my knowledge on how to write a story.

Dedication can't be taught.

Comment

Timing.

Comment

Originally posted by Exit Stage Right
                        AMEN!

Comment

Creativity. Imagination.
                          I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                          I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

HD Writer-

I was trying to maintain the trend of one word answers.
                            I didn't realize that was important.

I was speaking of the type of intellectual curiosity about the things that matter most. All great drama reveals human truths. Why do we hate? Why are we self-destructive? What the hell does anything really matter anyway?
                            Well I would say survival matters most but I get your general idea. I think curiosity is definately important and I agree it must come from the individual and can't be taught. But without talent is curiosity enough?

ESR wrote -

And saying that "woman arn't as visual as men isn't"? To bad you reduced what could have been a creditable reply to slander. Oh wait I forgot your a journalist.

Just my 0.02

Comment

I'd be interested to hear what the women have to say... that is if women haven't responded already.
                              "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                              - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Working...
                              X