Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dramatic Self-Destructible Goals

I am struggling to advance my TV show plot due to absence of other major character's lack of dramatic and urgent self-destructible goals and motivations. When a character ready to be constantly in conflict with so many characters to pursue his/her goals things always become very interesting.

Think about Walter White which is one of the perfect representation of how to create a character which all of these aspects are perfectly tied. I would just learn if there is a method to be able to create a character like that.

Motivation=Being under appreciated
    Urgency=Cancer
    Clear Goal=Leaving behing large sum of money
    Self Destructiveness=Being corrupted by power, alienating his family.
    Potential Conflicts= Other dealers, DEA, family members

--------------

I'am planning to complete only the first season (total 10 episodes each ones 45. min). My main character and its main plot ready, I would just go with a bit more ensemble cast

I would be very grateful to any help.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're looking for, but writing 10 episodes will definitely not make your pilot more salable. Write a pilot and a bible, at most.

Comment

I'd like to reiterate that you should draw your line at a pilot. Writing ten episodes is crazy talk.

As far as a method to create create-destructive character, it's not exactly rocket science. You just create a character with a character flaw that causes them to make a series of wrong decisions that take them further and further down a rabbit hole.

A recent script I wrote featured a character whose goal was to be famous. In the beginning she's making stupid Facebook videos of herself, but by the end of the story, she's accidentally become a hooker without even realizing it.

It's all about finding a series of simple causes and effects through decision making that will cause your character's situation to snowball out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
        I'm not quite sure I understand what you're looking for, but writing 10 episodes will definitely not make your pilot more salable. Write a pilot and a bible, at most.
        Thank you for advice. But how could I write detailed summaries of each episodes in the bible if I just write only the pilot episode?

Or what about writing 9 epiosdes more but just keeping them for myself and using them as source of summaries in bible?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
          I was searching about this topic, some sources even say its better not to write pilot for more flexibilty.

Comment

A bible doesn’t have to have every beat of what’s happening. Just an idea of where the show is going. And you need to write the script, since it will serve as a sample of your work even if it doesn’t sell. No one will buy a pitch from an amateur writer.

Comment

What is the best example of TV show bible? I've found bibles of some of popular TV shows but they are mostly too wordy and very different than each other.

Probably I should include Format, Genre, Logline, Teaser, Characters, Summary of S1 episodes, potential of S2 and Theme. Total no longer than 5 pages.

Also how and why to write one page pitch when summaries of s1 episodes are exactly the same thing?

Comment

If you can afford it, Shonda Rhimes has a very good MasterClass on creating, writing, and pitching a TV series. I continue to enjoy her classes. It contains downloadable workbooks/class work as well as 30 videos. You can purchase her specific class or an all access to all MasterClasses. i have the later and enjoy the wealth of information from various writers and film makers.
                "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Working...
                X