What does advanced screenwriting mean to you?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Advanced” screenwriting to me is incorporating all the guidelines, maxims, precepts, and “rules” of screenwriting, yet flexing and bending them outside and beyond what is “tried and true” to achieve what production studios always want: the same thing (a successful story on paper and film and at the box office) but different—sometimes radically different, sometimes scarily different, sometimes oddly different, sometimes humorously different, sometimes romantically different, and any of the other ways for a story to be different while entertaining an audience.
    Last edited by Clint Hill; 09-22-2021, 08:12 AM.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

GDT has an Oscar. it never gets easier:

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1...130877955?s=20

"By my count I have written or co-written around 33 screenplay features. 2-3 made by others, 11 made by me (Pinocchio in progress) so- about 20 screenplays not filmed. Each takes 6-10 months of work, so, roughly 16 years gone. Just experience and skill improvement."

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
        I once applied to take an advanced screenwriting course at UCLA, through their extension program. The sample I sent in was a spec that I'd sold in a bidding war.

I was told that the script didn't measure up to their standards, and advised to take a beginning screenwriting course.
        Priceless.

Comment

I never took piano lessons, but I imagine at first you learn things like what the pedals do and what the difference is between the black and white keys. You'd learn the basic scales and the names of the keys. In advanced piano lessons I imagine you are taking everything you learned in the basics and you are actually playing music. You're bringing all your knowledge together and you are able to play - maybe flawlessly - maybe choppy. But when you are using the tools of the craft to create art I think you are dabbling in the advanced.

Comment

Prince Akeem, royal heir to the throne of Zamunda and one-time McDowell's employee of the month, said it best when quoting Nietzsche - "He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk. One cannot fly into flying."

Comment

Writing an interesting story within the format of a screenplay. without being constrained or inhibited by so called rules.

Comment

I don't think screenwriting gets more advanced than doing a kickflip while punching up a sick varial mctwist ending.

Comment

Working...
                X