Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many audio books are now being AI-narrated. If this takes off, that will mean a huge loss of income for voice actors. The audio book market is enormous and keeps getting bigger, and it has proven to be a great way for a lot of underemployed actors to reinvent themselves and make good money.

I'm stunned that so many writers and other artists keep feeding the beast. "Oh, I would never use it to write, but, you know, for a synopsis, or a pitch, or just for brainstorming ideas, I don't see the harm..."

There are entire activity sectors that are going to disappear. As a translator, I see it happening right before my eyes.
    Last edited by Rantanplan; 01-19-2024, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post

Not screenwriting but this just happened with a Japanese author, who admits taking ChatGPT verbatim and putting it in her award-winning novel.

The winner of a prestigious Japanese literary award has confirmed AI helped write her book | CNN
      Wow. I posted a link in a previous discussion here where a book supposedly by an author with a portfolio of published work was written by AI and uploaded to Amazon for purchase. She had nothing to do with it and only found out through her fans. And she's saying: I didn't write that book. Meanwhile someone made profit on her name.
      Last edited by sc111; 01-19-2024, 10:56 AM.
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I'm going to write a spec called AI REP and get it on the blacklist.

"Bono do you want me to submit your amazing specs to all the major studios?"
        "Yes, please rep AI. Why not?"

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
          Many audio books are now being AI-narrated. If this takes off, that will mean a huge loss of income for voice actors. The audio book market is enormous and keeps getting bigger, and it has proven to be a great way for a lot of underemployed actors to reinvent themselves and make good money.

I'm stunned that so many writers and other artists keep feeding the beast. "Oh, I would never use it to write, but, you know, for a synopsis, or a pitch, or just for brainstorming ideas, I don't the harm..."

There are entire activity sectors that are going to disappear. As a translator, I see it happening right before my eyes.
          I agree and I'm also stunned by writers who use it.

This idea that -- "Oh, nothing to worry about ..." is BS in my opinion.

Corporate greed is legendary. It will stop at nothing to make a few more bucks.

Hollywood is no longer a couple studio guys smoking cigars talking to writers working in a bungalow on the studio lot.

It's mega-corps looking to squeeze every cent of profit they can for their stock holders. If Hollywood can they'll find a way to use AI to lower their overhead.
          Last edited by sc111; 01-19-2024, 11:11 AM.
          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Cc short story thread. Trust yourself.

Comment

I'll add on...

I think you're right, you do have to trust yourself, even if someone doesn't think it's a good idea. I don't think I could write something that I wasn't in love with or passionate about.

Sometimes you have the right idea, but maybe there's an element that hasn't been fully fleshed out. It might result in you writing yourself into a corner where everything is cranking along and then, splat! Deadstop... something wasn't planned out as well as you thought.

It might make you question yourself, but it's then that you have to remind yourself, you wrote an entire screenplay from scratch already and you can do it again. If you're still in love with the idea time between writing won't matter, you'll pick it up and fix it when the time is right.

Until then, write something else.
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

It's impossible to write something you're not in love with. Well mostly right. I mean I have written things I wasn't in love with. But they turn out badly. Yet if someone is paying me, that's fine. If it's for myself to spec, that's bad.
                Last edited by Bono; 02-18-2024, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Instincts can be tricky. I mean, sometimes a writer has the instincts to reveal backstory in a very offered up way. They feel cause it’s their instinct to do so that it’s right.

Can we all agree that pretty much everything has been done. I went to see Anyone But You with my wife and that so badly wanted to be Meet The Parents meets My Best Friend’s Wedding, but it fell so short. Recycled jokes, low hanging fruit jokes, familiar plot choices, rerun ending.

and that script was bought, producers put millions and millions into it and it was terrible. The instincts of the writers of that script certainly didn’t do right by them.

that’s one of the problems here. The second someone posts pages about a bank robbery, they’re told that it’s a copy of The Town or Dog Day Afternoon. If they post pages of a Det. thriller they’re told Seven, Silence Of The Lambs already did it. If it’s a Buddy comedy theyre told that Wedding Crasers, Dumb and Dumber, The Internship already exists.

Creativity gets strangled before instincts even get a chance at the wheel, but then again instincts can make for a real boring ride. Depends on the writer, depends on the instincts.

Comment

The Curse was original. So no I don't believe everything has been done.

Comment

People’s inability to separate “wasn’t for me” from “terrible” is annoying.

Comment

The Curse from 1987? I didn’t see it but I looked it up. Some kind of asteroid lands in a small town and starts affecting the people like making them into aliens or something.

certainly you’re not saying that’s an original concept. Small town affected by an outer space intrusion whether it be asteroid or alien. The Blob? There was def a B movie I remember from 80s where an asteroid or something turned people into some lizard with a long tongue or something. The protag was a school age boy and no one believed him that the town was being taken over. Maybe his is the curse, not sure. But that concept is in no way new. And I can’t claim the phrase “Nothing is new” it has been pretty much said by many many people in the industry or teaching circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by I_write_right View Post
                          The Curse from 1987? I didn’t see it but I looked it up. Some kind of asteroid lands in a small town and starts affecting the people like making them into aliens or something.

certainly you’re not saying that’s an original concept. Small town affected by an outer space intrusion whether it be asteroid or alien. The Blob? There was def a B movie I remember from 80s where an asteroid or something turned people into some lizard with a long tongue or something. The protag was a school age boy and no one believed him that the town was being taken over. Maybe his is the curse, not sure. But that concept is in no way new. And I can’t claim the phrase “Nothing is new” it has been pretty much said by many many people in the industry or teaching circuit.
                          A horror movie I haven't seen or heard of. But Wil Wheaton, sign me up!

If you're not kidding, The Curse TV show from 2023 on Showtime.

But yes in general movies and TV shows -- all stories -- you'll find other examples of it. Doesn't mean that's a bad thing. Just means we are human and only so many stories to tell. We just find different ways to tell them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post

A horror movie I haven't seen or heard of. But Wil Wheaton, sign me up!
                            It was based on a HP Lovecraft story. Was good back in the day. May not have aged well.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                              It was based on a HP Lovecraft story. Was good back in the day. May not have aged well.
                              May not have aged well = me like!

Comment

Right, so my point is feedback of “this has been done” after reading a logline and 5 pages is no feedback at all. Just someone trying to discourage another.

Comment

Working...
                                X