Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
    Oh wow, I'm so sorry, Rant. But I agree with Clint -- probably a blessing in disguise.
    Thanks Lost. Here's hoping!

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
      Thanks for the ISBN info. I was not aware of that! Have you self-published books? Is that why you know all this?
      Last night I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
      Clint Hill
      Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-13-2022, 08:25 PM.
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

You might be able to get your ISBN for free... "Canada and Mexico provide ISBNs free of charge as their ISBN agencies are government funded.[13][14] Bowker USA charges $125 for one ISBN[15] and offers substantial discounts on volume purchases."

Above from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._R._Bowker

If you do an audio book let me do one of the damned voices.

So you're using Amazon and you didn't set it up yourself?

Good luck
        Until I can find a quote from Pope Francis regarding one licking one's butt in the Vatican I'll post this:
        Just One Scene - Contest #1

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
          If you do an audio book let me do one of the damned voices.

So you're using Amazon and you didn't set it up yourself?

Good luck[/SIZE]
          Thanks for the tip, Mark! I haven't done anything yet, my book deal only fell through a few days ago. I think I'll shop my novel around to other publishers for a few months, and if nothing happens on that front, then I will probably go for the self-publishing route on Amazon.

I'm kind of looking forward to getting creative with the marketing aspect, actually. There are so many tools online nowadays.

Are you a voice actor? Some of the voices they get for those audio books are amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
            You might be able to get your ISBN for free... "Canada and Mexico provide ISBNs free of charge as their ISBN agencies are government funded.[13][14] Bowker USA charges $125 for one ISBN[15] and offers substantial discounts on volume purchases."

Above from Wikipedia [SIZE=14px]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._R._Bowker
            You must be a resident of the country from which you are publishing to receive the free ISBN number—as in Canada—from that country's equivalent of the U.S. Copyright Office.

You're required to purchase ISBN numbers from the country in which you are registered as a legal resident. The U.S. Copyright Office (with blatant disregard for the privacy and safety of authors who register their work there) lists the author's physical mailing address in its data search results.

"Just because ISBNs are sold by country, doesn't mean you have to get separate ISBNs for your self-published paperback in every country. You purchase an ISBN for your book in the country in which you live, but you can sell your self-published paperback anywhere in the world using that same ISBN.Dec 15, 2020"
            Find everything you need to know about ISBNs: what is an ISBN, where to buy an ISBN, what free ISBNs mean, and more with tips for self-publishers.
            Clint Hill
            Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-14-2022, 06:46 AM.
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Mark! I haven't done anything yet, my book deal only fell through a few days ago. I think I'll shop my novel around to other publishers for a few months, and if nothing happens on that front, then I will probably go for the self-publishing route on Amazon.

I'm kind of looking forward to getting creative with the marketing aspect, actually. There are so many tools online nowadays.

Are you a voice actor? Some of the voices they get for those audio books are amazing.
              No, I'm not a voice actor. I was making a joke ie "damned" voice as in hell etc. I should just stick to fart jokes.

Good luck
              Until I can find a quote from Pope Francis regarding one licking one's butt in the Vatican I'll post this:

Comment

I just realized I mixed up your project with Chad's. Nevermind. 🤔

Comment

Close! Spoke my mind and got myself canceled
                  Sorry to hear about this. Putting it in an email ... Well I agree with Bono that can he a risk in certain situations.

However, that's clearly the way you wanted to deal with it. Still, don't that have to give you a reason? Or can they just change their mind l?
                  Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post

Sorry to hear about this. Putting it in an email ... Well I agree with Bono that can he a risk in certain situations.

However, that's clearly the way you wanted to deal with it. Still, don't that have to give you a reason? Or can they just change their mind l?
                    That's what I'm trying to contest. I've written to the Authors Guild. It doesn't seem fair to me that I should have to repay the advance when they changed their expectations by quite a lot. And honestly, a phone conversation wouldn't have helped, I don't think. We just don't see things the same way. Probably my tone would have been softer (or not, who knows, I was being pushed to my breaking point) but at the end of the day, we weren't going to agree on all the demands.

If this were a writers' room or a lucrative film deal, they could do whatever they want. But like I said up-thread, I began to realize what it's like to be a novelist for most writers, and the payoff is so tiny, that it didn't feel worth compromising my voice and my vision over.

Comment

Working...
                    X