Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I've Lost Patience with my Protag

She wrote me and said that as a public person she couldn't stop me from writing about her. She added her bios are available anywhere. She said she was honored at being asked and to feel free to go ahead. When I asked for an interview over the holidays, she said she was involved in writing her next book and couldn't get involved in a screenplay right now. It was way too easy.

Seems she's playing awfully fast and loose with her reputation; however, she knows probably I don't have a chance in hell of getting it produced.

A.
    Writers write to be read, right?

Comment

Wow, tough one. How about having her creations visit her - they're po'd about her taking all the credit for their hard work( a la Christmas Carol). Sorry, that's all I've got. Good luck...

David

Comment

It sounds like you need to run to the nearest video store and rent Cobb. Imagine writing about Cobb and I think Rice will prove easier.

Good luck

Comment

Oh hell, I don't care anymore. It's Ann Rice.
          How about throwing in a squad of vampire-hunting priests who believe she's the Antichrist who can only be cleansed by decapitation? That always works for me. And maybe a hot-looking nun tempted by carnal thoughts. Reeks of high concept.

-Derek
          -> * <- Click on this magic star to be transported to my website. Ruby slippers optional.

Comment

Oh - Ann Rice was my second guess! I'm going to ez-mail you.
            Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by andlary1
              ... I don't like her and I think she's a fool. ... Can she be resurrected and still be treated fairly by me?
              When you liked her and didn't think she was a fool, what makes you think you were being fair to her?

Write the story the way she is. Be fair to the audience.
              "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
              - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Two Brad, I'm afraid of hurting her feelings. No, really.

And

Comment

Hey Sc!

Who was your first guess? Stephen King?

Since his accident he's probably had a come to Jesus moment as well.

And

Comment

I think an unflinching look at a narcissistic, self-deluded hypocrite with both vampire and religious obsessions would make a fascinating movie.

I say go at her like a biology student goes after a dead frog with an Exacto knife.

Comment

Two Brad, I'm afraid of hurting her feelings. No, really.

And
                      Then give it up and move on to something else.
                      "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
                      - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

BTW, I think of you every time I go into Kinkos on Wilshire. They've read your memo for sure. Two brads, you idiots, not three! Thanks for the ongoing chuckle.

And

Comment

Hey Sc!

Who was your first guess? Stephen King?

Since his accident he's probably had a come to Jesus moment as well.

And
                          Yes - S. King was my guess in your original thread on this, Rice was my
                          second but I didn't post her name.

To get empathy for your lead you could use a trick some therapists use to avoid feeling/being judgmental against their more unsavory counseling clients.

Imagine Rice as a newborn -- with no intentions of growing up to be weird, or morbid or ridiculous - then consider how each of her life experiences nudged her into the direction she went.

There's another possibility -- do a fictionalized version of her story. Change the name, etc. Then you can fill in the boring and mundane with fabrication.

What genre are you writing this for - straight drama?
                          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Working...
                          X