• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    ShaneBlackFan

• ShaneBlackFan
    replied
    Re: In The Beggining

Remember, start with a bang and end with an Earthquake. Actually, don't worry about the opening, it will write itself once you've got the story and the characters have been defined.

Oh, my first post here Hello everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Exit Stage Right
    User

• Exit Stage Right
    replied

Originally posted by Gorilla King
    I have an issue with getting my scripts started.

Any advice that anyone could give me on getting through this would be much appreciated.
    Write a scene, any scene, that gets your character(s) on the page and move on. I know that's hard to do. I'm one of those who tends to write in 15 page blocks and can't move on until I'm pretty satisfied with them, but this morning I wrote a new opening scene for a script that has seen three rewrites without that scene ever changing. I'd never totally liked it, but it was all I could come up with. Then all of a sudden a whole new approach popped into my head and it's a hundred times better. It happens that way sometimes. We just need to be prepared to give it time to happen.

Leave a comment:

• Thomas H
    Regular

• Thomas H
    replied

I like those quotes Steph....especially the first one. I'm going to stick that up on my wall too!

Leave a comment:

• OkeyDokey
    replied

Once you've finished the draft, you can always go back and revise the beginning to tie together with the end more tightly. That's part of the re-writing process.

Leave a comment:

• Steph76
    replied

I'm terrible about getting started. I'm constantly trying to make everything perfect. But the truth is, it's never going to be perfect. The most important thing is to get it written, worry about any problems or imperfections in the rewriting process.

I've got two very helpful quotes taped to the top of my computer.

1. "Don't get it right, get it written."
    2. "The first draft of anything is Sh!t."

I write knowing that the script isn't going to be perfect and with the realization that no one is going to see the first draft but me.

Steph

Leave a comment:

• Thomas H
    Regular

• Thomas H
    replied

I used to post pages on here, but that was years ago. I was a freshman in college at the time. I may post some pages after I get my first draft written because I'm certain the input would be valuable.

Leave a comment:

• earlyman75

• earlyman75
    replied

Gorilla King,

The fact that your hook never seems good enough to you isn't that bad of a thing, man. You SHOULD care about your hook like crazy, because if it isn't good, the rest of the script just isn't going to get read. I constantly have trouble with my hooks. Honestly, I often spend a month or so on the hook, then have the rest of the script written in a just a few weeks! It sounds crazy, but it is true!

The key is to have fun with your hook, but to be brief. I read so many script pages posted at this website, most of which are the first 1-10, and it drives me crazy when people don't attempt to be shocking with their hook. I don't care what your genre is- the first ten pages better dazzle, and there is always something you can come up with that's fun.

I'm wondering- do you post your pages here? If not, you should. The feedback is pretty valuable.

Don't beat yourself up about stressing over your hook. A good writer should. Now get over to the script pages section and post what you got!

Leave a comment:

• Pandoraisme
    User

• Pandoraisme
    replied

I think you're putting too much pressure on yourself at the outline stage. For what it's worth, I struggle with openings also. There are a zillion possibilities and nothing is locked in yet as opposed to later in the script.

Maybe it would help to work your story from end to begining, maybe not. For now, I would suggest you pick an opening that suits your story and move on. It can always be improved later.

Even though you are working from a detailed outline your story may change as you make your way through the first draft. Once you complete the first draft you might have a much better idea how well your opening works... and how to improve it.

Best of luck.

Leave a comment:

• Thomas H
    Regular

• Thomas H
    started a topic In The Beggining

In The Beggining

I have an issue with getting my scripts started. It is absolutley my least favorite part of the whole process. I can outline the whole thing and be able to tell the whole story but the hook always bugs me. Even if it's good it never seems good enough.. I always question whether I've overdone or underdone something...often simultaneoulsly. I question whether I've made a strong enough impression with the characters. Any advice that anyone could give me on getting through this would be much appreciated. I've only written one feature before and that was a couple years ago. I'm doing number two right now.
Working...
X