Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing modern with historical

I'm writing a screenplay based on an event, and I've been struggling with whether to use modern scenes to explain some historical happenings or to set it entirely in that time. I thought I'd seek some thoughts about the pros, cons and potential pitfalls. On one hand, setting it entirely in the period keeps the viewer with the main characters and presents more of an "unbroken journey." On the other hand, using a modern "storyteller" character would allow me to explain certain things about political climate and what happened during a gap of several years and what happened to the main characters in the end.

Re: Mixing modern with historical

I guess it just depends on the story. But I would examine all possible alternatives, there is a number of ways you could go about doing it. Using a modern character would be one of them, or you could use a narrator, or you could just use SUPERs to clarify the time passing. I'd go with your gutt. Whichever one you feel would better suit your story. If it was me, I'd just stick with the SUPERs, but that's just me.

Steph
    "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." --T.S. Eliot

Comment

Working...
    X