Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Novel To Script

I have finished re-reading one of my favorite novels. Would a screen adaptation be basically copying word for word of dialouge and adding scene descriptions based on the book? Since this novel is soo popular and old and no one has ever brought it to the screen, I'm wondering how loyal to the text adaptations are. This particular book MUST be as loyal as possible. I am very well aware of the fact that I'd need the rights and all, but I'm talking from a speculative point of view.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Re: From Novel To Script

If only adaptations were that simple and easy. Novels and screenplays are two totally different animals. As much as you love the book and want to stay true to it, things will have to be changed.

I'll just hang up and listen, now.
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"
    "If I didn't have inner peace I'd totally go psycho on you guys all the time." - Carl Carlson

Comment

This is one of those Catch-22 questions. If you have to ask, you probably aren't the person who should be thinking about writing an adaptation.

And I bet you're not the only person to think how good a film this novel, whatever it is, should be.

Just for practice, I've adapted my own stories into screenplays. Novelettes and novellas tend to be an ideal length for a straight adaptation. With novels, you have to pick the best, most dramatic storyline, and shed the rest, because there just ain't enough room for it all.

Shrug, my thoughts. If you decide to do it, good luck.

-Derek
      My web page - Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror - published fiction and WIPs.
      Take the critiques you get with a grain of salt. Invariably, some of the critics will be kooks, bitter curmudgeons, or complete fools. ~odocoileus

Comment

Yeah that's what I ment. For example this novel takes place over the course of 2 days. There aren't ANY plot changes or major storylines that need to be cut, however there are a few pages here and there that can be edited down a bit or completely cut as they're boring. I understand that most novels take place over a long period of time and the prose can be more descriptive than dialouge. However, when the novel is famous for having hilarous dialouge, do most adaptations stay true and loyal to this or do they change it. Let me explain a bit what I mean. NOVEL A Mister Mutha Focker met with April on a secluded road. Meeting for the first time in 20 years, they looked back on lost times, friends... For example if a novel contains prose like this or something of this nature where there's no dialouge but descriptions, I can understand how you can make this dialouge up if its part of the story-line you want to focus on. Regardless of the popularity of the novel. HOWEVER.... NOVEL B "Fcuk you Mutha Focker!" April screams at Mutha. her veins outlined on her neck. "No, April, Fcuk you. I can't believe I came to this road to see you. Die slut!" Mutha said this and quickly ran to his beat-up Pinto where it promptly broke down." Now, if I want to adapt a novel and the grand majority of what I want to adapt is already dialouge would this make me a hack as I'm basically just translating it into screenplay format, or what...? The majority of what is actually descriptive in the novel is mostly useless and completely unimportant to the storyline and with the exceptions of SOME FRAGMENTS, 90% or more is unusable. I hope I was a little bit clearer now. I understand its an odd question.

Comment

Whoa, hang on one moment. Aren't you jumping the gun just a bit? You mentioned securing the rights. Before you get all excited about this project, if I were you I'd make damned sure they were available and that I could afford to option them for a while.

I've been through this twice: once when I was commissioned to adapt my first novel into a screenplay, and second when my third novel was optioned by a writer/producer.

As for how faithful you have to be, fidelity only counts in regard to the "poetry" of the novel, the thing that makes it truly work and sing on the page. Everything else has to be reinvented, because dialogue in a novel is vastly different from dialogue in a script.

It might be a good exercise to take a novel that's been recently adapted and compare it to the film. You'll see what I mean.

Comment

I maded this mistake. I wrote the sript and in the end couldn't secure the rights. Not it sits on my shelf collecting dust.

Comment

Working...
            X