Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story without Character descriptions

Reading through the Reservoir Dogs screenplay there are no character descriptions... and very little in the way of action descriptions. Very tight. Minimal. Lots of dialogue.

Yet, it is a great story, and undoubtably one of the finest movies. This is essentially a character driven story, put it still puzzles me on the lack of character descriptions.

Are there any other screenplays out there that have little or no descriptions?
    Writer / Director available for your project.

Re: Story without Character descriptions

I wouldn't trust a screenplay written by the director as a true sample. The reason for this is the director/writer knows the story so intimately that character descriptions are uneccesary. I'm sure QT already had an idea of who would fill which rolls or at least an idea of what they would look like.
    "This is insane, he has space dimentia" - a line from Armageddon

Comment

If you're directing the movie yourself, you can write anything you want in the script. It's best to look over scripts that were not directed by the writer.

Comment

when Tarantino wrote the script... he planned to shoot it himself ultra low budget without name actors... but someone (Harvey Keitel?) read it and loved it and gave it backing.

I bet loads of people here know the full story and chronology.The details are in a bio I have lying around, will see if I can dig it out if needed.

Point is, it's not as if Reservoir Dogs was written with investors already aboard and name actors already attached... it was an accidental spec script, pretty much (??).

so I think geozero's point is a valid one.

the script needed to connect with people besides QT... the rest is history.

The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Yes so true, but some producers still do some description. Look at the scrpt 4 "Lost in Translation" and even some of the real draft's 4 "Star Wars Movies". I don't think there was description on all of the char's 4 the latter, but most.

What got on my nerves was trying to read "Gosford Park" w/ no description. Where was the art of screenwriting. I never saw the movie. The dialog only script cured me of that desire.

Originally posted by Biohazard
          If you're directing the movie yourself, you can write anything you want in the script. It's best to look over scripts that were not directed by the writer.

Comment

Heat by Michael Mann is at the opposite extreme...

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...t=18764&page=3

Love that script.

Not read Gosford Park yet... At some point I obviously thought I ought to because I actually bought it in paperback without having seen the film (still haven't)...
            The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Working...
            X