Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penthouse Magazine

If anyone here has seen the moive called "He Died With a Fellafel in His Hand" or read the book of the same name, perhaps you can help me.

In the movie the main chracter submits a short story to Penthouse or Playboy magazine to try and get paid 25 thousand dollars.

I was just wondering if this was true. If Playboy, or Penthouse or any other of those types of mags, acutally accept short stories and pay writers to publish them.

BTW, I'm sorry that this post was a bit off topic but I really didn't know where else I could get this information.

Please post any inforomation you know.

Thanks. Sorry if this was a bit weird.
    All my life I've had one dream; to achieve my many goals.

Re: Penthouse Magazine

For as long as I can remember, these magazines have been open to story submissions (not necessarily erotic) and always paid top dollar, way over normal pro rates. Only a couple of years ago, specfic writers (Sci-Fi/Fantasy) the world over wept with despair when Playboy's new fiction editor said specfic submissions would no longer be considered. Considering the amount of money they used to throw at writers, I don't doubt that sponsored contests popped up from time to time with big bucks prizes. So, the $25k scenario seems far from unlikely.

-Derek
    My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.
    Take the critiques you get with a grain of salt. Invariably, some of the critics will be kooks, bitter curmudgeons, or complete fools. ~odocoileus

Comment

Okay cool, thanks heaps. Also does anyone know anything about the actual submissions or should I just go and buy a few of the major magazines and look through them for submission details?
      All my life I've had one dream; to achieve my many goals.

Comment

check their websites for those kind of details as well. it's a little bit cheaper that way. I doubt the mag's will have it all spelled out. If that doesn't work for you, i'd buy one and send in a letter.

Comment

Grab yourself a copy of WRITERS MARKETPLACE.... all will be revealed..

Comment

I never read the stories.
            http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

At least one Playboy story has been optioned. Uni paid $400K for Necronauts in 2000. (A group of "necronauts" travel into the life-after-death space to chart new territories.)

Playboy and Penhouse are not the same type of magazine, I expect the editorial focus, such that it is, will differ... Playboy is to GQ, what Hustler is to Penthouse. I think.
              The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

I've been using the "I only buy them to look up submission details" excuse for years, too. Always printed right across the center pages.

-Derek
                My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.
                The practice of art isn't to make a living. It's to make your soul grow. ~The Complete Handbook of Novel Writing (Kurt Vonnegut)

Comment

Yeah, you need a copy of WRITER'S MARKETPLACE.

One thing to keep in mind with Playboy - that's a top market. You're in competition the the world's best writers. I thought they paid $3k for a story.

http://www.marketlist.com/quickdetails.asp?id=102

If you *do* have a short story (or a file drawer full) WM will list all kinds of magazines where you might send it. They break it down by genre (and possibly pay vs. no pay/contrib copies). Most mags are looking for specific word counts, subject matter, etc. I had stacks of contrib copies of mystery mags ('zines) and eventually landed one in Mike Shane's MM. I also have hundreds of rejections - many from the nekkid girl mags that first published Stephen King (lots of personal letters from the fiction editor (Maurice DeWalt?) telling me how close I was getting). Short stories aren't easy to write, and there's really not that much money in it. If I remember correctly, one of the best chances was Woman's World Magazine - they published 3 stories an issue and paid okay.

- Bill (I like the pictures... and the Don Westlake stories)
                  wcmartell
                  Last edited by wcmartell; 03-09-2006, 03:48 PM.
                  Free Script Tips:
                  http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

As I recall, for years and years, Writer's Market used to list Playboy as paying $2,000 for short stories - which I'm sure guaranteed them a literally endless stream of crap coming over the transom. As is generally the case with Writer's Market, they neglected to mention that Playboy bought those stories from people like Norman Mailer. Not from you.

I'm kind of surprised that no one's mentioned the other possibility you might be thinking of. For a long time, Penthouse (not Playboy) would publish, umm, true reports of erotic exploits submitted by readers. Apparently this feature became so popular that they got their own spinoff magazine at one point. These stories (and let me emphasize that they were all entirely true in every detail) tended to start with some variation on the phrase, "Dear Penthouse, as a student at a small midwestern liberal arts college, I never imagined anything like this would ever happen to me, but..."

There were all kinds of urban legends circulating about these things, as I recall, and how much you were supposedly paid for them. I'm guessing very little.

In general though, yes, the short story market sucks. It's easy to write one, but much harder to write one that isn't crap. And the available market is horrible - so awful that, in my opinion, it's probably easier to get a screenplay optioned (not made perhaps, but optioned) than it is to publish a short story. Of course, I've published a handful of short stories and haven't sold a script yet, so maybe you should take that with a grain of salt. But the worst part is, with a short story, when lightning does strike, you still only make about $150. And that's a good sale. I honestly can't recommend you write short stories for any reason but love.

Comment

A friend of mine--a novelist and short-story writer well known within his genre--once sold a story to Playboy. He told me then that it was the highest-paying magazine for short fiction in the country.

Nabokov, who'd been published by them, agreed, by the way.

Comment

Playboy in particular is a very respectable place to have short fiction published but as somebody earlier said, rightly, those published tend to be Norman Mailer, John Updike and the like. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try but this venue is very high profile and therefore very competitive.

Most publications don't pay for short fiction at all, actually. The penultimate place to publish short fiction, the New Yorker, pays $1,000. Again the writers tend to be literary luminaries, although there is one issue a year devoted to breaking "new" writers (you can't be that new if you get published there). Many literary journals pay with, say, a complimentary copy or three of their publication. Short fiction is not a way to pay the bills, take it from me.

Glossy lifestyle magazines will pay up to $1 a word for non-fiction essays having to do with lifestyle choices, health, relationships, etc. Again a very very competitive market and one in which your idea better be so hot it sizzles when it arrives in the slush heap because glossies publish so frequently. I find with these types of publications that it takes much more elbow grease to research publications and send and track submissions than it does to write the piece itself. Some can make a living at it and if you have established relationships, that's the ticket.

Julie Gray

Comment

Working...
                        X