Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to find books about the creative process

specifically about screenwriters and their creative process. I'm not looking for craft books, something more along the lines of Writers on Writing.

Thanks

Re: I need to find books about the creative process

Someone recently recommended Stephen King - On Writing. It's insanely inspirational and oddly assuring, so far.
    Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

I read that. There was a book where songwriters were interviewed about their process. Each writer was given a chapter and they spoke about their work in general and also specific songs. I can't remember the title of the book (my brother in law has it, and I'll get it this weekend) but I was hoping there was something like that with writers, or more specifically screenwriters.

I realize I may have to do interviews for this paper, but if I can get some of the basic information from books or magazines, it would make things so much easier. I'm being lazy, or maybe the looming deadline is starting to get to me.

Comment

Sorry, echo, I thought this was for you. I wouldn't have posted the SK book if I'd known it was for a screenwriting paper.
        Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Actually, I'm hoping I can use other types of art in the paper, but I don't have anything on screenwriters. For years I interviewed musicians, and even a couple of painters, so I can pull those. It's a screenwriting program, so I'm sure he's going to want me to include my focus in it.

I appreciate the help. I'm starting to freak out about this. I have a week to pick a topic and give him an outline and bibliography.

Comment

Hey echo,
            How about "The 101 Habits of Highly Successful Screenwriters" by Karl Iglesias.

It's a book filled with the habits and processes of 14 screenwriters who's credits include; Stepmom, Beverly Hills Cop III, Rush Hour, Colors, Men in Black, Rain Man, etc.

You can find it at amazon.
            Hope that helps,

V
            it's not rocket surgery

Comment

Check out books edited by William Froug on Amazon. He put together a number of excellent volumes of interviews with screenwriters, as well as the two volumes of Zen and the Art of Screenwriting, which also contain interviews.

Comment

There is a great book called WRITTING MYSTERIES which deals with, well, writing mysteries but what these writers talk about can be applied to any writing... Great read.

Comment

You realize you MAY have to do interviews with screenwriters?! You're kidding, right? You have a perfectly reasonable excuse to contact professional screenwriters to ask them about their process, and just maybe form a relationship in the process, and instead you want to focus on books? Oh, to be in school again, knowing what I know now.

Anyway, what's the point of asking people who aren't from your area what to read unless you're going to buy the books instead of checking them out of the library, which is what I did for papers?

It seems to me that you're missing a potential opportunity.

Comment

I did interviews with musicians for 4 years. I'm not against doing interviews and I know this presents me with an opportunity to network with pros.

My advisor wants a bibliography, or at least the start of one, in 2 weeks. I'm supposed to give him some sort of an outline.

If I go with doing interviews, I'm gonna have to go to LA, which means flying. Phoners don't work well, so traveling is a must. I'm going to have to do a lot of research on each writer and then do research on at least 1 or 2 of their noted influences. Doing a close reading of all of their work. Watching the movies. Watching movies they say influenced them. It's a lot of work.

I know I'm going to have to do it, but for the next 2 weeks I need to live in the land of denial, or the idea of thinking I can get away with reading a few books. I have finals coming up and then final grading, afterwards I'm drivng to Miami and during the drive I'm sure I'll come up with a plan of attack.

I'm reading Cameron Crowe's book on Billy Wilder. Crowe would be on the top of my list of people I want to interview. Larry McMurtry is right there with him.

I appreciate the book suggestions. I'm going to hit B & N over the weekend and check them out.

Comment

Working...
                    X