Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Caucasian roles

I'm preparing to write a new script but something has just occurred to me, all the roles will be written for Indians but set in the western world. The story has international appeal and everyone speaks English. It's very commerical, too.

Anyone been here before? Thoughts?
    "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Re: No Caucasian roles

http://www.sorabji.com/2002/road_tri...buffalo_03.jpg
    Last edited by theblondewritr; 03-10-2006, 02:21 AM.
    si

Comment

One of my favorite films is Dil Chahta Hai (are you in the UK? Channel 4 has shown it a couple of times) starring the wonderful Preity Zinta (also on imdb.com). This film was reckoned to be the first of a generation of ultra-modern Indian films (i.e. non-Bollywood musicals) made specifically with Western audiences in mind (the leads are young hi-tech execs working abroad, but tradition is still strong at home). So you're not breaking new ground, but the favorable reaction to this type of film is encouraging. Go for it, baby.

-Derek
      My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.
      The practice of art isn't to make a living. It's to make your soul grow. ~The Complete Handbook of Novel Writing (Kurt Vonnegut)

Comment

Gee-- if independent films are now courting stars then how independent are they?
        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

When you say Indian, do you mean Indian or Native American? I would think you could approach a foreign distributor. In Central NJ, Indian films are big... they squeeze a few into the same multiplex with Hollywood movies.

Comment

Shane,
            Maybe try to contact the prodcos of these Indian movies? Actors? Def. a niche there but it will be of limited interest (if at all) from bigger prodcos.
            A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
            Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
            Money is better than compliments.

Comment

I'm no CE, but if you're TRULY confident in the script's story, then go ahead and write. If nothing else, it could become your strongest writing sample -- an underrated tool in this business, IMO.

At least you'll be able to toss your "indian" script at producers, agents, etc. and they'll read it and know "this is a good writer."

Great scripts that can't//don't sell = Great writing sample.

As amateurs, we can get WAY too caught up in whether a script can sell or not. Eventually, you need to write a script that IS sellable, marketable, bankable, and all that good stuff, if you're just trying to make a career out of screenwriting, the main thing you need is a strong writing sample(s).

So unless it takes you 5 years to flesh out a spec, I'd say g'head and write the damn thing.

If it turns out great, you'll be one of the few amateurs on the planet earth that can honestly say "I have a great completed script."

With that alone, you're ahead of the game, IMO.

my two Lincolns
              "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
              - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

If Deepak Chopra is in the movie, count me out.. If it's a movie with Indians from southern India, count me in.

If I have to see it at Universal Studios in Florida where they show the "Teminator 3D "movie and they sprinkle you with water count me in.

If it's with a bunch of folks who eat curry, count me out.

Comment

I mean Indian from, um, India I'm writing it with a small budget in mind like everything else I've written. I don't do big Hollywood films because I'm not ready. I want to build a good portfolio of work for small budget pictures. I'm more into intricate character studies which suits the small budgets.

Cheers folks.

Comment

Shane,

I wished you'd ask me about this last summer because I ran into a producer from Los Angeles at a Toronto gas station who was asking me for directions.

We got to talking and he was looking for Canadian financing for an Indian film based on Indians from North America.

We exchanged phone numbers(I can't find his). I would have given it to you because he was looking for scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111
                      Gee-- if independent films are now courting stars then how independent are they?
                      Stars have nothing to do with the independence of a film.

And everything to do with getting the film distributed.
                      http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

If you want to see how it's done just look at John Cassavetes's career. There's an excellent new biography of him, recently published, which tells all--how he raised the money and how he got distribution.

Comment

No Caucasian Roles

Gee! What Canadian director might go for such a screenplay?
                          JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Lime
                            Stars have nothing to do with the independence of a film.

And everything to do with getting the film distributed.
                            Right - and when distribution is dependent upon having a star attached another bit of independence is given away.
                            Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Re: No Caucasian Roles

Originally posted by Fortean
                              Gee! What Canadian director might go for such a screenplay?
                              A female director! Brilliant. My eventual script would benefit from a female POV. Cheers, pal.

Comment

Working...
                              X