No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I go from here?

Hello All,

I'd like some advice regarding a script I am in the process of writing. I've completed the first draft and I am in the process of writing the second, which I'll have completed in the next couple of days.

The script is for a 3D cartoon of an original idea of mine. The script serves as an introduction to the world, characters, physics/quirks, potential and it would be suitable for a pilot episode. Or, it could be used as a basis for film (I already have some ideas regarding a plot for a film). The idea on which the script is based on is unique and inventive, and it could have interesting consequences for any subsequent computer game (and to a lesser extent, toys). I think it's got a lot of potential.

Although I've written a script, I see my role as a creator or developer of the concept and to provide direction. What I'd like to know is how do I pitch the script and the idea, or what would be a good course of action.

Regards.

Re: Where do I go from here?

Your biggest problem right now- and I know this because my heart was broken by it recently- is that there is essentially no market for animated specs.

That's not to say there is no hope for your script. Heck, hope is all we have, right?

I think the best thing for you to do is make sure that your script is written as a live action story- don't specify that it's animated. With CGI, there's pretty much nothing that can't happen in a live action film anyway, so approach it as live action.

ALSO, and this is a big ALSO, don't go thinking about toys and computer games, man. Not yet. In fact, not ever. You are writer. Make that your concern.

Do you have any credits or experience at all? If so, I suppose that changes things. If not, that puts you in the same boat as most of us here.

Drop the idea of directing or producing. Seek representation first. Try to sell your story. If you get that far, which is hard enough, then just maybe you'll be able to voice your interest in more creative control, but as far as I know, that's pretty iffy.

Just slow down. Finish your next draft. Have it read by people you can trust, and make sure it reads like a live action story and isn't specifically animated.

Have you posted any pages here? You should. The feedback is awesome.
    earlyman75
    Last edited by earlyman75; 03-30-2006, 09:59 AM.
    Goonies never say die!

Comment

yeah. get feedback on your writing.

and realize there's a slim to nothing market for animates specs. Consider it practice and a sample of your writing abilities, and move on.

Comment

Or learn how to animate and make it yourself. Try a short first and then move on from there. If you're not up to animating it, write your next script. But don't give up just because two done dealers are discouraging.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante
          Or learn how to animate and make it yourself. Try a short first and then move on from there. If you're not up to animating it, write your next script. But don't give up just because two done dealers are discouraging.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

Everyone out of the pool.

Look, I see that this is your first post. First, let me say welcome, cvolante. Second, let me just say that there is a fine line between discouraging and realistic. Learn that now.

You're talking to earlyman75 here- the guy that once wrote like a 3 page post about how everyone that says you can't break into Hollywood if you live outside of LA can pretty much screw off. I am probably one of the more optimistic guys around here that believes that you can pull off just about anything if you try.

That said, there is plenty of room for realism here (Oh, omnipotent Creative Exec, if you are hearing this conversation, please weigh in...).
          It's irresponsible for those of us that know at least a few things to NOT share the truth. I'm not a Hollywood heavyweight- FAR FROM IT, but I'm a guy that's been writing screenplays for a few years, has had a few different forms of representation, once was assignment to rewrite a pilot for a struggling tv series, and who currently has a script being considered by a couple of prod companies. Again, no heavyweight here, but I've learned a few things in the past 5 years.

One of them I learned just recently. Had a dynamite idea for an animated film. I mean DYNAMITE. The logline was so darn good that an administrator requested that I pull it from the site for my own security purposes (come on, man- that's pretty good). I got myself all hot and bothered, thinking that I was onto the next big thing, but a couple of helpful people helped me to realize that there is NO MARKET FOR ANIMATED SPECS.

They weren't being mean or being bullies. They were being honest. Look at it this way: If you came up with a plan to stick dynamite in your rear so that you could blow yourself to the moon, and a buddy told you that it wouldn't work, is he being a discouraging jerk, or is he trying to save you some serious hassle? That's what they were doing- saving me some hassle. Maybe they thought it would be a better decision for me to direct my efforts elsewhere.

It takes a lot of work to write a script, and when someone at this site says "hey- you better think about this," you might want to listen. It's not easy, but there are some very established people hanging around these boards that know what they are talking about (a heck of a lot more than I do!!!!!). When the bad news was broken to me about my stellar animated idea, I didn't get ticked and think they were trying to pee on my parade, but instead I realized that they were saving me weeks- maybe months- worth of hassles.

That's not to say I'm giving up on my idea, though. Heavens no. I'll write something else and try to sell that. Once I break my way in, then maybe I'll have some pull to pitch something animated. I don't consider that discouraging- I consider it my next long-term goal.

So please, don't think people offering suggestions are trying to be discouraging. We're all trying to help each other, and there is nothing we want to see more than one of our fellow Done Dealers make it (expect for making it ourself, of course).
          Goonies never say die!

Comment

It's likely that cvolante is the alias of an existing member. I've seen it happen many times. Chances are you'll never hear from him/her again; or if you do, there will be a couple of posts denying this fact.

How do I know this? Script Pages, Dear Watson. You'll see a new user post pages, never hear from them again and then the same pages magically reappear under a known member's handle.

Or they'll make a comment, as a new user, within a post, like this one, and then the same exact sentiment appears from an existing member down the line.

It's unfortunate, but it happens... a lot. It may be different, now, but...

KWV

Comment

Kwvillen...

Dude, be careful! You're going to reveal that we're really the same person!

Oops. Cat's out of the bag.

Originally posted by Kwvillen
              It's likely that cvolante is the alias of an existing member. I've seen it happen many times. Chances are you'll never hear from him/her again; or if you do, there will be a couple of posts denying this fact.

How do I know this? Script Pages, Dear Watson. You'll see a new user post pages, never hear from them again and then the same pages magically reappear under a known member's handle.

Or they'll make a comment, as a new user, within a post, like this one, and then the same exact sentiment appears from an existing member down the line.

It's unfortunate, but it happens... a lot. It may be different, now, but...

KWV
              Goonies never say die!

Comment

earlyman75:

Kwvillen...

Dude, be careful! You're going to reveal that we're really the same person!

Oops. Cat's out of the bag.
                So much for subtext!

KWV

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys... and some of the posts regarding there be little chance of getting an animated spec accepted is something that I was probably expecting to hear. I didn't think it would easy.

With regards to computer games and possibly toys, the only reason I mentioned them is because the idea initially arose from an idea for a computer game. Which would allow for emotion to be experienced in manner not previously seen on computer games (BTW, I'm a 3D artist).

I plan to let others criticise the script once the second draft is complete. And I'd like to post sections of the plot for members to criticise, but if I did it would reveal certain mechanism regarding the world that has been created, which forms the essence of the idea. Mechanisms which allow for interesting comic situations and consequences to arise, as well make critiques of the world we live in.

Thanks for the advice guys, it'll help me decide on what to do next.

Comment

I have begun animating my animated script, btw. It may not be Pixar quality, but it's frickin' animated.

Comment

You know something, I'm tired.

I was reading this thread, and then I noticed that earlyman75 said "I see this is your first post" and I was thinking "eh?", I've seen cvolante's name pop up numerous times, and then I checked his post count, and I saw something in the 200s, and then I started thinking that maybe my computer was screwed or something, and then, and only then, did I check the post dates and noticed this thread was started in March 2006.

Yeah, like I said, I'm tired.

cvolante, hope your animated project is going well.

Comment

Write it as a computor game first. They're always hungry for product.

Comment

What? Who? Where?

Comment

Working...
                          X