No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Draft script questions...

Hi!

I have completed my 1st draft of my first script. I have re-wrote it and cleaned it up. So what next?

1) I've read that you should copyright it before you discuss it with anyone. I've visited the WGA website and they say I can register the script for 20 dollars.

2) Who should I discuss it with with? Other upcoming screenwriters? I have formed a screenwriters' group in my local town. But they're mostly in the same boat as me.

3) Or should I send it on to producers, with a letter saying that it's (WGA) registered?

4) I know I need to work with someone to develop it and fully flesh it out. I know what parts need improving, but additional advice and expertise is always needed.

All advice is appreciated!
    I post too much.

Re: 1st Draft script questions...

1) You already have the full protection of copyright laws. Copyright exists at the moment the idea is put into a fixed and tangible medium (the moment you write it).

The WGA does not afford any copyright protection. The registration service was created for members to use during credit arbitration because it can take a long time to access the LOC's archives.

Register your script with the Library of Congress if you feel you need to register it. Original screenplays use the short PA form (Performing Arts).

2) Seek advice and feedback from scribes you feel are knowledgeable about the Craft and business of screenwriting. Be prepared for some frank and harsh comments. First drafts of first scripts are almost always crap. There will be a lot of work and learning required on your part to fix it.

3) Don't indicate on your queries or your script that the script is registered. They don't care. The registration is for your benefit not theirs.

4) Good. You are ahead of the curve already.

Good luck!!!

Fortune favors the bold - Virgil

Comment

It sounds to me like you would be best served investigating a "peer review" site such as zoetrope.com or triggerstreet.com. Good luck.

Comment

post the first 5 pages on the Script Pages forum here.
        And be sure to remind everyone that it's your first script so that we know to be gentle.

good luck.

S

Comment

I agree with Joe and Santino.

Post some pages here and get some feedback.

Someone here may be interested in reading more and providing feedback.

Get on Zoetrope (you have to read a few scripts there before you are a full member with the right to post and be reviewed).

If possible, run a spelling and grammar checker over it to see if you have inadvertently let some errors slip in.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Find a bunch of actors (not hard to do) and have it read out loud. You'd be amazed and what you'll discover...

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent
              If possible, run a spelling and grammar checker over it to see if you have inadvertently let some errors slip in.
              And don't do it only once. I've read my last script at least 10 times and still found a missing word last night.

Comment

Working...
              X