Casablanca, Aliens, Chinatown, American Beauty...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Casablanca, Aliens, Chinatown, American Beauty...

I don't get depressed reading really good writing. If it's really good, I'm usually on the writer's side early in. For instance, Kafka or Flaubert. They're up in the stratosphere, and it's pointless to even try to go there. You just step back and admire, or rather you put yourself with them admire.

As far as screenplays, it's about technique and "story ideas" and self-editing and execution. I'm never blown away by the writing as such.

With screnplays it's more you try to use what you see to make your own stuff better. So it's a very technical read in a way, compared with literature.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul
      bergman never had access to korean bbq.
      me neither...Okay, maybe at that Korean restaurant downtown...Hmmmm
      A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
      Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
      Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Originally posted by Prosaics
        With screnplays it's more you try to use what you see to make your own stuff better. So it's a very technical read in a way, compared with literature.
        Exactly. Lots of people think they can write screenplays, not that many actually can. I don't mean that in any condescending way, it is a fact. Read good screenplays with a view to improving your own work. It's okay to laugh or cry at them but never forget the primary purpose. To learn.
        I often cry at my own work. Not usually in a good way but I'm working on it.
        http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Amen to that. I see others around me struggling on to work harder at the craft. It's often an affair of hair pull and tears. In the end, a few of us can look back and smile, knowing we have gone up a long way...
          Of course, there's still a longer road ahead.
          A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
          Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
          Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul
            I have written a script that's better than all of them... except Casablanca.

Comment

Working...
            X