No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV vs Feature screenwriting

What's your take on the differences?
    Please don't go ahead by saying one is easier than the next. Not something I believe but I would love to see what you see as differences. I've considering pulling toward TV series (def. mature anime) since it seems a bit closer to short stories I used to write. Not sure if it's the right approach but I'm willing to try it out.
    A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
    Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
    Money is better than compliments.

Re: TV vs Feature screenwriting

If you just want to go on a proverbial creative fishing trip, knock yourself out. It might take a few stabs at a few genres before you find your voice. But put creativity aside for a moment. What is the end game here? Just like with screenwriting, you need to treat your current avocation like a business (if you want to suceed). TV like film likes you to be focused. If you want to write anime then write yourself some specs and send those out (same with sitcoms, dramas etc.). In terms of craft there is no difference. In terms of structure there is plenty of difference depending on what particular avenue you wish to pursue. But good writing is what good writing does....

Comment

TV you are using other people's characters and basic situations. In features you get to create your own. TV is very rigid in structure, features are a lot looser. TV the writer is king, features? The writer is five steps below the guy who brings the donuts.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

It also depends on the donut.

Comment

I intend to win friends and influence people by being the writer who brings the donuts!

Comment

Since features can sometimes languish forever (and still never get made) you might have a better chance of actually seeing something you write come to fruition with television. Because TV is a much faster pace too, it'll probably make you a better writer all the way around...for both mediums.
            "The two hardest words to write are FADE IN. The two most gratifying are FADE OUT."

Comment

Working...
            X