Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interesting topic for discussion

Pipe, the litmus test for your father-informing-the-kids scene is how well it works for audiences. And you are the first audience when you read it and see how well it works on you. You have to make sure it doesn't seem rushed, too on-the-nose, too easy, too maudlin...

I can see how your scene has the potential to be emotionally effective, especially because the father struggles not to cry. If a tear does slip out, make sure you earn it. You have the necessary elements, but ask yourself if you have choreographed them for maximum emotional impact.

In arranging what the father does and says, what object he might hold for strength, how and when the kids respond, where dad has to pause, or pace, when he might see something that reminds him of her... have you found the way to do it where the audience is hit with such a devastating feeling, they're crying harder than he is?

Comment

I already posted my thoughts on Ham's blog, where I said I agree with him. The most powerful cry-making scenes I can think of (for me) didn't involve tears from the characters.

But that said, there's a scene at the end of Il Mare where the main character is crying and so was I, desperately. I think part of what made that one so emotionally effecting was that no one spelled out why we were crying, it was all implied through individual scenes we were shown. Our thought processes were engaged, and once we figured out exactly what had happened (or was about to happen), the tears came flooding out.
      "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
      ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

I think we should all discuss this in my blog and not here since I could use the traffic.

Comment

I added a comment. But raven wasn't there. So I think I commented on the wrong one.

Comment

Originally posted by dclary
            I added a comment. But raven wasn't there. So I think I commented on the wrong one.
            Maybe Ham deleted my comment.
            ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

No, I commented on the wrong one. I have since commented on the right one. Thank you for caring.

Comment

LOL. So I see. I replied. We're getting quite a discussion going. Ham will be happy.

Well, maybe not.
                ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

I replied to your reply with a reply on the url in your reply.

Comment

So I saw. I will probably reply to you there. But that won't increase Hammy's traffic.

Oh well, he can't always come out ahead.

― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Now can you buy Sharper Image products through my links?

Okay, I don't have affiliate programs. It'd be funny if I did.

What's really funny is that TonyRob highlighted a blurb of my blog that I often violated. Mostly because I've very contradictory and two-faced.

Comment

I'm agreeing with who's agreeing and replying to who's replying, I'm not lying.

Note: When Tom Cruise cries, it does NOTHING for me, nothing.

Charli

Comment

Originally posted by Rex V
                          From Hamboogul's blog:

"1) Just because your character laughs or cries doesn't mean that the audience will. In fact, I think it's the opposite. If your character cries, it mitigates the need for your audience/reader to cry."

Discuss.
                          There's a scene near the end of Shadowlands where, after having maintained a more-or-less stiff upper lip for the entire film up to that point despite the loss of his wife to cancer, Anthony Hopkins just loses it. I mean he cries big. Myself, I couldn't keep my eyes dry during this scene, and I'm a big ol' hairy straight guy.

Comment

Working...
                          X