Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is high concept

As some of you know, I recently had some coverage on a script I wrote and the coverage came back as saying my script is high concept. I found this confusing since that was not what I was going for ...

So I did some research on the subject and wanted to know if people thought this definition accurately defined high concept. If it does, then on that level I can at least understand why my script was labeled high concept.

Here is 1 definition based on a Wikipedia article

The plot of a high concept movie is easily understood by audiences, and can often be described in a sentence or two. The story line is extremely efficient in that every scene and character is used to drive the plot forward. Often in high concept, characters and scenes that at first seem unnecessary are later used to reveal or explain a plot twist.

Re: what is high concept

The first sentence sums up my understanding of high concept. The next two sentences could apply to any screenplay, high concept or otherwise.

Comment

The plot of a high concept movie is easily understood by audiences, and can often be described in a sentence or two.
      This part is right.

The rest of the definition is defining a well structured and executed story which while desirable is hardly unique to high concept plots.

We just recently had a good discussion on high concepts.

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=21328

As well as a semi-recent discussion on high concepts.

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=19513

Fortune favors the bold - Virgil

Comment

They're telling you they can imagine the ad posters that will explain what your movie is about -- and people will like the idea enough to want to see the movie.

So, what were you going for? Something deeper? A though-provoking theme? Great characters? Interesting plot twists? A movie that works emotionally?

It's not mutually exclusive. One hopes you have all of that, but if the concept alone is easily grasped and appealing -- an audience draw -- that's a high-concept movie.

Comment

High Concept: A movie you can explain to someone even when they (or you) are stoned.

Comment

Something studios think they can market worldwide with a poster?
            http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

At some point, Deus will mention the term "Four-Quadrants" to confuse you even more. It's his fancy way of saying a movie that appeals to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by joeld42
                High Concept: A movie you can explain to someone even when they (or you) are stoned.

Comment

Ham, I'm not sure what four (demographic) quadrants have to do with high concept.

They are apples and oranges, or Deus and Ham
                  Fortune favors the bold - Virgil

Comment

Q: what is high concept

A: Catch The Pigeon.
                    The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Just remember That it needs to be something that 1) has never been done before. 2) cleaver. 3) and a story that you can tell act 1,2,and 3 in a very short paragraph. I just got back from L.A two weeks ago where I spent maybe 40 mins with Bob Kosberg and we touched on alot of different avenues to High Concept. If you would Like for me to go into more detail, I would be glad to email you directly.

Comment

How about you post here for the benefit of the rest of us...
                        www.filmfiler.com -- everbody has a story to tell, what's yours?

Comment

Originally posted by ravravrav
                          How about you post here for the benefit of the rest of us...
                          I'll paraphrase. There are two meter maids. One is Barbra Streisand and the other is.... [I forget]

Or

The wicked witch of the West comes back to modern day New York City to get her revenge on Dorothy.

Or

Some hobo is living in the Statue of Liberty and the movie title is 'The Keeper Of The Flame'

Just a guess.

Edit

I remembered. It was Whoopi Goldberg.
                          Last edited by English Dave; 06-21-2006, 09:58 AM.

Comment

What about this:

Some people simply define it as a concept that will get people to part with their ten dollars.

That being said, just wondering if you guys would use a "high concept" (as defined above) scene from the movie as the title of your movie.

What I mean is that although the particular scene isn't what the whole movie is about (and therefore not high concept under other definitions), it is so funny that people would pay to see it.
                            "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by ylekot43
                              What about this:

Some people simply define it as a concept that will get people to part with their ten dollars.

That being said, just wondering if you guys would use a "high concept" (as defined above) scene from the movie as the title of your movie.

Only if that scene involved an aged nun being reamed by three sailors. [as defined above]

The title would be 'Old habits die hard'

Comment

Working...
                              X