How Do You Break In ... to European Film?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Break In ... to European Film?

I'm just throwing this out to see what people's reactions are. I have a comedy concept that I really love, but I know that it's way too literate and cultured for the Hollywood machine and maybe even the American indie scene. Between that and the fact that it would ideally be set in London and Paris, it seems perfect for a UK-based (or European at least) production company to put together.

So what are the differences between an American pitching a script in the States and trying to pitch it overseas?
    "The only reason most scripts are bad is because most people can't write." Leslie Dixon

Re: How Do You Break In ... to European Film?

Uk wit is dry compared to Americans. Be sure the script fits the culture of
    that country. Not sure, Pete, the first script I drafted is best at a German
    market than American.

Charli

Comment

Originally posted by pconsidine
      I have a comedy concept that I really love
      Another one?
      but I know that it's way too literate and cultured for the Hollywood machine and maybe even the American indie scene.
      Never underestimate the American indie scene. Afterall, it brought us Clerks.
      So what are the differences between an American pitching a script in the States and trying to pitch it overseas?
      Well, there's less money to play with and you also risk being out of touch with their sensibilities if you haven't lived there. I'd recommend writing it just as you envision it, set where you like, and then querying both American indie and European companies with the script. There are a number of websites where I often see European (and particularly British) production companies looking for material. Their ability to actually get a film made remains a mystery.
      http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Oddly enough, my first commission was to adapt my first novel--set in Paris and London (and the South of France)--for an independent British film company. The principals of the company had all worked in British TV, and knew my work from teleplays submitted to them by my agent in London (I'm now back in the US, by the way). So I knew how to write for the UK market and could write convincingly British characters.

They had just wrapped their first film, starring Liam Neeson, and mine would be their next project. Though the script was developed, it wasn't shot for lack of funding (the time-frame for the script was from 1930-1984).

The British film world is a small one, and unless you have some in--an agent in London, or people who know and like your work--you're not about to break into it. And, by the way, there's no money in it...

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Lime
          Another one?
          Well, if I don't love them, who will?
          "The only reason most scripts are bad is because most people can't write." Leslie Dixon

Comment

Working...
          X