Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to be sneaky with camera moves...

Alright, I really need to go back and forth with camera moves, but without writing too many camera moves.

I have this... (just quick example):

Man walking down the street

In the distance two men talking.

Do you guys assume that the second shot is still similar to the first, just now we turn to the other two characters, while the first one is still on screen?

I have something like that, then want to jump to just normal angle of the guys talking.

I also have done POV from the guy and then jumping back.

How would I go about doing that jump back without writing camera moves?

It's kind of important to jump back and forth for me from shot to shot, so can't exactly take it out.

Re: Need to be sneaky with camera moves...

Originally posted by JayKid
    It's kind of important to jump back and forth for me from shot to shot, so can't exactly take it out.
    Yes you can and you should. It's not your job to tell the director how to do his job. The way you described it (two men in the distance) makes it perfectly clear that it will be a wide shot. By saying a man walks in shiny black shoes shows us the camera needs to close enough to see details. Use your imagination. It can be done.

Good luck
    Never mistake motion for action. ~Ernest Hemingway

Comment

It seems I've done it well enough with the "in the distance" shot, but what about the second one?

The reason the second shot is so important (from POV to normal) is because the cut shows pass of time and that one POV works well in the scene. However, I don't want to say "CUT TO" or "SOMETHING SHOT" and then explain that it's not POV anymore. I'd like to do it subtly...

but how?

As of now it reads:

Character POV: Nothing in man's hand.

Back on the man, who has something in his hand. (rough example)

I just am skeptical if that works or not and need help. I'm trying to be creative, but dunno...

I do realize camera moves are bad, but I never use 'em. I definetly want the director to do his job. I wouldn't make for an amazing director anyway, just feel that sometimes in some scenes certain camera moves ARE needed. Just need to be sneaky...

Comment

Oh and also, in the first example, I've established a wide shot say...

But now I want to get out of it. Just like getting out of the POV example above, how should I go about it? I guess I could do the "back on character thing" I mentioned, but dunno if that works...

Comment

write it. see what happens. get notes. make the changes you think are necessary.

Comment

See if you can strongly suggest the shots you want just by describing exactly what the viewer would see.

There's nothing wrong at all with an occasional "We see" or "BOB'S POV" or whatever...and sometimes it's better to use something like that than to use 20 words to describe what you mean. But it'll be a better read if you can create the specific images you want in the reader's head by artfully and concisely describing what he "sees," rather than calling for specific shots.

Comment

Sorry. Intercut.

Comment

Working...
              X