Easier to write a script than treatment?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easier to write a script than treatment?

Does anybody else have that issue? I can write a script without a treatment, but I can't write a treatment with a script.

Re: Easier to write a script than treatment?

True. After the script is done, if you have to do a treatment it's hard to tell what's important and what isn't so my treatment ends up being incredibly long. But when I've written the treatment first, the script usually ends up being twice as long (w/many more scenes, that is). I wish I could avoid treatments all together.
    Smile Is Best Makeup!

-A Grammatically Incorrect Japanese Proverb

Comment

I have no idea why anyone would write a treatment *after* you write the script. The treatment is a step in the writing of the script (in an assignment) - to make sure you have the story worked out before you spend the time writing 110 pages.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell
        I have no idea why anyone would write a treatment *after* you write the script. The treatment is a step in the writing of the script (in an assignment) - to make sure you have the story worked out before you spend the time writing 110 pages.

- Bill
        I know, but not all writers are able to do that. For some writers it is easier to write the script and avoid the treatment all together.

Comment

The only time I would do a treatment is if I was being paid to do so.

I work a logline from an idea, then work out a beatsheet, and then write the first draft. That's just me.
          Felicitations, malefactors! I am endeavoring to misappropriate the formulary for the preparation of saleable screenplays. WHO WILL JOIN ME!

Comment

Originally posted by writerman
            The only time I would do a treatment is if I was being paid to do so.

I work a logline from an idea, then work out a beatsheet, and then write the first draft. That's just me.
            That's me as well. I'm writing a script in which I kind of wrote a two page thing for it, other than that, I've never used a treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by lache
              For some writers it is easier to write the script and avoid the treatment all together.
              Well, you can't do that if it's part of a step deal (assignment). You have to write the treatment before you go to script.

- Bill
              Free Script Tips:
              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Treatment is prose, script is not. I think that's why screenwriters tumble
                over words.

Charli

Comment

Working...
                X