Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating the world...

I've recently been thinking about movies and it's the ones with a world I could see going on past the events of the movie with characters I could imagine in other scenarios past the events of the movie that really were strong movies.

If you can't truly picture the world and the characters within it standing by themselves you don't have a strong movie really. Whenever I think of movies that kind of felt short, those were the ones. The ones that didn't make the world and the characters seem like they could do anything else except what they did in the movie.

It's when after you see a movie that you could take those characters and that world and do something else with it and know how everything might fall into place.

Anyone else agree with me that that is the most important part of a strong movie? I dunno, I could just be insane lol.

Re: Creating the world...

Insanity was my first guess. But, after smoking on this long and hard....I agree.

Waterworld is a great example. Did you buy into it? I didn't.

To add to your 'theory', I would argue that the Actors and Actresses that play the part make or break the movie, the creation of 'worlds' in which the viewer needs to be convinced is real or plausable.

In the flik Legends of the Fall, I cannot imagine any other Actors or Actresses playing the parts. The chemistry was perfect. In the movie Peirodactyl (is there such thing as C movies?) any one of the Actors or Actresses could have been yanked. It may have helped.

When I write, I imagine an Actor or Actress' manners, and create characters that have those same manners. For example, Meg Ryan and Julia Ormaond have very different mannerism when acting. Johnny Depp and Arnold are from two different planets.

Casting is such a huge job, and I personally think it should be on the Oscar roll call.

Alex

Comment

Yea, casting really is a huge job. If you don't cast the right parts, the movie could flop for just that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by JayKid
        Yea, casting really is a huge job. If you don't cast the right parts, the movie could flop for just that reason.
        Examples abound.

Sometimes it is because the first choice is already busy, which from time to time proves a blessing (like Tom Selleck too busy to take the Indiana Jones role. Ouch)

A

Comment

Wonder what The Matrix would have been like with Will Smith. I'm glad he was busy with The Wild Wild West... lol. Actually, he's a good actor, but just not right for Morpheus.

Comment

Originally posted by JayKid
            Wonder what The Matrix would have been like with Will Smith. I'm glad he was busy with The Wild Wild West... lol. Actually, he's a good actor, but just not right for Morpheus.
            Great movie, and cast right in the end.

Any idea what the movie is based on?

A

Comment

Read. This movie has deep roots, and we can ''feel'' it. (sorry, Gibb)

http://www.friesian.com/matrix.htm

Alex

Comment

I meant sorry for using the word ''feel''. I believe you once said you ''stopped reading my posts when I used ''feel''.

I just can't help it.

A

Comment

Originally posted by crustygibblet
                  Man, don't worry about it. I don't remember half the things I said on this board.

DD is too addictive.

Argh!! I should be writing.
                  I cried for days. Sought counseling, all the usual excuses. Even spoke with a lawyer!! And now you say you don't even remember???

Ok. We're much alike.

Alex

Comment

Working...
                  X