Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Future

massive changes are realistic. What kind of phone do you have now?

What kind did you have 5 years ago?

Do you think the same technology is used to deliver those services to your phone now as opposedt o 5 years ago?

Massive changes are realistic, and they do happen. you're just used to it.

Comment

And to echo whistlelock, the change that happens may not be the one we're predicting?

If you look at old science fiction movies (and these were educated sciencedaddies, straining their imaginations, right?), their concept of a "supercomputer" was an amazingly huge computer of flashing lights and many many mountains of ... magnetic tape reels!

Everyone had a helicoptor car too.

They thought "big" was the Future, not "infinitely small"

I'll place my bets and call the Future: it will not be born of Complexity, but Simplicity. Energy (and living) will not be centralized, but individualized. (That's Hopeful prediction though)

Government, I dunno about. It's not that Tyranny will control us thru technology, but rather we will become hopelessly entangled in our technology of inter-relatedness.

The Internet is the new opiate of the people: where the Truth would set us free ... information-overload and the substitution of mere opinion over fact (the dungeon of the blogverse) serves to chain us in our place.

Spin has become more important than Fact. Preaching to the converted, reinforcing the bias of the listener ...

The Future looks grim: nicely decorated prison cages for everyone who consumes at the teat of Material plenty.

Until the Have-Nots take it all away or smash it out of jealous envy or zeal.
      sigpic
      "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
      that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
      -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Originally posted by whistlelock
        massive changes are realistic. What kind of phone do you have now?

What kind did you have 5 years ago?

Do you think the same technology is used to deliver those services to your phone now as opposedt o 5 years ago?

Massive changes are realistic, and they do happen. you're just used to it.

As a side bar, I remember recently hearing an item on the pace of technology and they posited that if you took a man from 1900 and transplanted him to 1950, it would be FAR more "mindblowing" for him than if you took a man from 1950 and transplanted him to the present day.

What a difference a half century makes.
        Does this even count as a blog?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRMeyer

Hell, even watch the Twilight Zone in the 60's had us going to Mars in 1990's. Where are we at 40 years later? .
          I don't know if it's Nasa's fault. Or Hollywood. But good God I have to blame someone!

If we can't put a fictional character on mars by 2010 I'm emigrating to China!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRMeyer
            110yrs for the car? Seems resonable. A car, at it's core, is fairly simple design. The engine is the trickiest part. Hell at one time, the V-8 seemed impossible.
            First automobile: 1886.

First production V8: 1904.

I doubt it seemed impossible for very long.
            http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

The farthest I have gone into the future is 108 years, but kept most of what is familiar now.

Usually society will run with one or two cool inventions, and that industry will splinter and advance. But mom is still cooking apple pies from scratch. keep it real!

A

Comment

Thirteen years? Between 1990 and 2003 think how far we went with computers, the internet, cell phones, cloning, military weapons, etc. Huge changes. Lifestyles changed completely. And in the ten years since 2003, we've gone even further with mp3 players (forever changing the music industry), e-readers (forever changing the publishing business), Netflix/HuLu (forever changing the TV business), iPads, smart phones, hybrid vehicles, etc. I'd argue this is the most change in a short period since the late 1800s/early 1900s when Vanderbilt, Morgan, Edison, Ford et al changed the world with railroads, electricity, phones, and cars, and our changes happened at a much quicker pace. I'm half excited, half concerned how the next thirteen years will change our lives.
                Last edited by guiltypleasures; 09-11-2013, 05:14 AM.

Comment

stories that have social relevance or hinge on social issues (like the island) are often set in the near-future to make the plot seem more probable, and the theme(s) more applicable to life today, and the current political environment. if you set the island a thousand years in the future it becomes an intellectual exercise -- make it just around the corner and it's social commentary.

another consideration is budget. the further into the future you get, typically, the more the movie costs -- earth 50 years from now is cheaper to film than earth (or another planet) 1000 years from now (typically)

mb

Comment

Again, my point isn't that there's hasn't been great advancements in short periods of time. It's actually much simpler than that.

I came across the description of the film and again it said 2019.

I was only trying to point out, 13 years is not that far away. Compared to 13 years ago has a lot changed? Yes. Some areas more than others.

My point was the movie, set 13 years from now with technology I think we can all reasonably say is NOT just around the corner 13 years from now.

I some of it, possibly.

The underground compound? Hmmm, I don't think so. Lots of digging, lots of custom fabrication to order, manpower, etc.

The cloning technology? Hardly - plus take into consideration having to train staff on how to use the machines, plus time to test it before using it for production.

The Video phone? Probably, yes, but i like how it calls the right person without asking specific questions. Say John Smith, and you get the right John Smith. I guess in 13 years nobody is going to have the same name.

In my opinion if you're going to set something in the future, it should be set so technology seems reasonable for the time.

That's all.

Comment

The most important aspect to consider is verisimillitude and sticking to the rules of your world.
                      "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Working...
                      X