Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing Action/Sci-Fi/Thrillers

80% of the movies I really enjoy fall within this category. I know it's kind of broad but take for example: Serenity, Donnie Darko, Dark City, V for Vendetta, Ultraviolet, Equilibrium, X-Men Trilogy, The Matrix, The Terminator, The Fifth Element. All great movies in my opinion (Well, Ultraviolet kind of sucked but I liked the idea of it). Anyway, most of my ideas fall into this category or Sci-Fi Thriller with a touch of drama or mystery. I guess my question though is whether or not it's feasible to write in this genre. I've always heard to stay away from Sci-Fi, blah, blah, blah. I want to write these kinds of movies and since most of my ideas fall within it I probably can't escape it but other opinions would be appreciated.

Re: Writing Action/Sci-Fi/Thrillers

Write it, if it's good and you'll be fine. I think you have a better shot writing a great sci fi you were passionate about then some other story you didn't do a great job with because you had no passion for it.

Plus, if this is your first script, I highly doubt it'll be perfect regardless, so why not get your feet wet (or jump right in... ) with a genre you love and are passionate about?

Tha'ts just my 2 cents, but I've also heard that you should stay away from Sci Fi... whatever though, if it's good, it's good... and that's what really counts.

Comment

Write what you love. I'm doing an adventure film now and my next one will be a sci fi picture. It's a good genre. Enjoy it.

Comment

Ultimately, imho, you write into the same genre you pay to watch.
        A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
        Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
        Money is better than compliments.

Comment

A lot of sci fi's are expensive to produce. It is unlikely that a producer would take a chance on a newbie writer with an expensive sci fi, which is why newbies are advised against trying to break in with one.

However, it's possible to write a low budget sci fi which could be very attractive to producers. I'm thinking of some recent movies which I can't remember the titles for right now, one starred Robin Williams. The other was an ultra low budget about time travel - it got a lot of good reviews and press - you probably heard of it, damned if I can't remember the name of it. Or "pi", which isn't exactly sci fi, but it's close and it launched the career of Darren Aronofsky. It's an interesting little flick too.

Write what you love, you'll be happier even if you don't get produced.

Comment

I had to find the titles for the above mentioned flicks. They are "The Final Cut" and "Primer".

Comment

Working...
            X