Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to introduce characters as themselves

I have 2 characters who initially appear as Cop 1 and Cop 2 because they are in disguise and I don't want the reader to know who they are just yet. When I get to the scene where they reveal themselves and become "Bob" and "Ted" do I just switch from Cop 1 and Cop 2 and start using their names?
    Cop 1
    Come on, it's only me.

BOB O'CONNOR pulls off his sunglasses and hat to reveal
    a handsome, young man.

Bob
    Had you fooled, didn't I?

Re: When to introduce characters as themselves

I'd rather it be:

"Cop 1 pulls off his sunglasses and hat to reveal a handsome, young man. This is BOB O'CONNOR."

So it's a bit more clear Cop 1 is "becoming" Bob O'Connor. The way you have it, the reader has no idea who Bob O'Connor is or where he came from.

But yes, you would then begin using their names from then on.

R.
    Last edited by Jakkal; 10-08-2006, 12:59 AM.

Comment

BOB O'CONNER, (change the description - as if they weren't going to cast a handsome young man if the "character" calls for it right?) pulls of his sunglasses AND... - have him do something significant besides revealing himself. Unless revealing this character has an impact, like Ethan Hunt pulling off a mask type deal, "revealing" isn't necessary. IMO... which is king of all!

Comment

The narritive line depends on the situation. Just write the reveal like it happens.

For the dialogue label, I use a "slashed" label once to avoid confusion, then continue on with just the revealed name. Like, it's COP 2, then COP 2/BOB, then just BOB.
        They cursed us forever, making us prefer dreams to lives.

Comment

BOB O'CONNER, (change the description - as if they weren't going to cast a handsome young man if the "character" calls for it right?)
          I don't think this is the real description in his script, more like a dummy example ... Right Ashser?....Asher? Cause otherwise, yes, definitely change Bob's description.

The narritive line depends on the situation. Just write the reveal like it happens.

For the dialogue label, I use a "slashed" label once to avoid confusion, then continue on with just the revealed name. Like, it's COP 2, then COP 2/BOB, then just BOB.
          That sounds good too. Makes things ever clearer.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. And yes, that was a dummy example.

Comment

Working...
            X