Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your philosophy on this?

Lets say you've got a charachter who was once quite a loser but has turned his life around and become a huge success.

The charachter has issues about his past which he has chose to sweep under the carpet to his subconscious. The problems swept under the carpet have now caused great damage to the charachter, rendering him once again --a loser.

The charachter is too full of pride to consider these problems though, it's as if he is living blind.

Would you choose to slowly reveal the charachter's hidden issues without stating them or blatantly show them, so the reader knows his problem right off the bat?

Re: What's your philosophy on this?

I'd personally would slowly reveal his/her problems as the story unfolds... I think that it would make his decisions - future decisions in life or whatever the situation is with the story to uncover the startling results.

It's makes it more of a human story, instead of stories based on other types of stories, like nature, etc.

Human emotions are impact! That's what makes people excited about seeing the end results. Also, any back story of a character is intriguing!

Just something I think it adds. IMOP!
    D. Alin
    http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

In "Just friends" we saw the "loser" right away --since it was done properly, we felt sympathy for the protag and this movie really worked.

In "Benchwarmers" the "dark secret" past wasn't revealed until much later and it was neither endearing or funny. That being said-- secrets can be one of the best sources of comedic tension.
      "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by wrongmajor View Post
        Would you choose to slowly reveal the charachter's hidden issues without stating them or blatantly show them, so the reader knows his problem right off the bat?

I always prefer a slow reveal.

(Also, c-h-a-r-a-c-t-e-r.)

Comment

It depends on the story, but with the slow reveal it'll really make your job easier. If you have to tell X, Y, and Z then you can put these things across numerous scenes (if you go the slow reveal route). However, if you just tell them in one shot now you have less ideas to work with throughout the script. It's best to reveal things slowly so you don't overcrowd scenes with information, unless it's needed, like in "Just Friends"... but that's not a bunch of secrets--just a few. Plus it's needed for the rest of the movie to work.

So... what should you do? In the end you need to do what works and makes sense with your character and the story itself.

GL.

Comment

All of our posts are without knowing your story, but, generally speaking, for myself, I'd slowly reveal most of what needs to be shown by the end of the first act. I'd lay it almost all out by then (I don't mean your twists or other stuff related to that). That way, when your hero makes the choice to go for broke and save Gumby, we'll know just how tough it's going to be for him and what a swell guy he is for choosing to save Gumby and risk getting his butt kicked by Pokey who knows his weaknesses as we will then know, too.

Corona
            I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
            I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

I would never call Bogie a loser...but consider Casablanca....Rick's problems revealed in bits and pieces...
              Felicitations, malefactors! I am endeavoring to misappropriate the formulary for the preparation of saleable screenplays. WHO WILL JOIN ME!

Comment

Working...
              X