Three levels of conflict and character need - confused.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three levels of conflict and character need - confused.

Hi all,

I’m reading a screenwriting article and it talks about the three levels of conflict that exist for a character in a scene – the internal, external and interpersonal. This thread contains two questions – the first concerns the interpersonal conflict. What is it exactly? I’ve read the examples provided in the article but feel like I’m no closer to finding the answer as they seem to contradict one another. What I gather is that the interpersonal conflict is related to something emotional regarding the relationship between the characters – perhaps caused by something the characters disagree on. Can anybody confirm?

Also, I’m trying to work out the relationship between the need of a character (that’s designed to span the script) and the internal conflict that comes about in scenes. Obviously, the internal conflict (in the scene) can be related to the unconscious motivation set for a character but again, the article provides examples that appear to stem from a conscious motivation – i.e. characters are aware of why they may feel rejected, angry, etc.
    I get the impression that the character’s need (unconscious motivation) can be reflected in the internal conflict for a specific scene but doesn’t have to be if it’s something more immediate, for example, in the opening scene of "The Godfather," Bonasera wants the Don to avenge his daughter’s beating, but the Don feels disrespected by Bonasera which proves to be an internal obstacle for the Don. Any thoughts?

Hope I’m being clear enough, really appreciate the help.

Re: Three levels of conflict and character need - confused.

McKee talks about similar stuff in his book STORY (and presumably his seminars too.) It's not too hard once you understand what he means by each level. I'll go over his levels, which seem very similar to the ones you mention:

1. INTERNAL- Internal contractions or conflict. I want to drink, but I know I'll fall off the wagon if I do. I want to have sex with my secretary, but I love my wife and family, etc. Whether these various impulses are conscious or not doesn't really matter here, it's that they conflict with each other and pull the character in different ways that is relevant. But as you mention, often these needs or desires are subconscious, or at least the character is not completely aware of them. In general though, our self-awareness is not really all or nothing, it's more of a gradation from light to dark. So to make additional rules about conscious vs. subconscious desires is not too productive IMO, as long as you are in general creating well-rounded, interesting characters.

2. INTERPERSONAL- I cheated on my wife. So now how does that affect all the relationships in my life? Not just my wife, but my kids, friends, social circle, etc. All the people you have an immediate relationship with. Does the mailman count? I don't know, maybe. It doesn't really matter, as long as you get the general point of what this level entails.

3. EXTERNAL- How does what I've done spill out into the greater world? A very obvious example would be in the movie PAY IT FORWARD, where the boy decides to do something for his class project or whatever, and his 'pay it forward' idea ends up spilling out into the world where people he doesn't even know are affected. In most movies, external ramifications are generally more subtle, although not necessarily so (say if the hero has to defuse the nuclear bomb or the world will explode into smithereens.)

Comment

madmaxmedia

Comment

There needs to be two things in order for there to be conflict: a character pursuing a need/want clashing with some sort of opposition.

The opposition can be:

INTERNAL. The character's own fears prevent him from achieving his objective.

INTERPERSONAL. The rules (or perceived rules) of the "group- prevent him from achieving his objective.

EXTERNAL. Some outside force (man, nature, etc.) prevents him from achieving his objective.

Interpersonal is really just a type of internal opposition because at the base is a deep seeded fear of being excluded from the group.
        "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
        - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the responses. I understand.

Just quickly, since I didn't want to start a new thread, - what might be the problem in not having a character in the scene reach his/her objective - let's say neither character reaches it - will this not "break the stasis" enough? As in, does it hurt a sense of progression?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazeem View Post
            what might be the problem in not having a character in the scene reach his/her objective - let's say neither character reaches it - will this not "break the stasis" enough? As in, does it hurt a sense of progression?
            The problem is that the conflict in the next scene will be on the same level with no escalation. You can't have the same level of conflict throughout the screenplay. Things must always get worse for the protagonist.

When one character gains something, another character should lose something. This creates conflict and keeps the story interesting.

So what is the purpose of having neither character gain nor lose anything?

Remember, conflict is the method by which you give your audience information.

Comment

Working...
            X