X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secrets of Blockbuster Movies

Secrets of Blockbuster Movies Part III - Obstacles

An interesting article taken from the writers store

In past articles, we've talked about the story elements found in most blockbuster films. But what about the obstacles that prevent us from writing a hit film? I'm referring to the misconceptions many writers carry with them that make it almost impossible for them to write a successful script.

One especially egregious myth that kills writers is the idea that their script will succeed if only they get the right agent or make the right contact. We all know that thousands of scripts are written every year. So we think the answer to winning this intense competition is to get special access to the powers that make the films.

Makes a lot of sense. But it's dead wrong. The vast majority of scripts fail because they are not good enough scripts, which means that your main competition is not with the fifty thousand other writers who will write a script this year. Your main competition is with yourself. If you master all the skills that go into great fiction writing, you will get access to every studio in Hollywood. If you don't, the best access in the world won't make a bit of difference.

Full article here http://www.writersstore.com/article.php?articles_id=38

@TerranceMulloy

Re: Secrets of Blockbuster Movies

Looked at a few of these articles before, they're so rudimentary it's embarrassing. So it turns out Terrance is really a spammer for over-priced advice for embryonic screenwriters? Too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Pull Back Reveal View Post
      Looked at a few of these articles before, they're so rudimentary it's embarrassing. So it turns out Terrance is really a spammer for over-priced advice for embryonic screenwriters? Too bad.
      WTF? SPAMMER - Simply posting an article I thought was good.

Moron.
      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

My manager sends me comedy specs which have sold to give me an idea of what execs want.

To tell the truth - I can't find a common "secret" revealed among these in terms of commercial blockbuster viability. Especially when comedies range from broad to rom-com to "dramedy."

Putting concept & story aside and looking soley at writing quality they're all good to very good in terms of structure, dialogue, etc. I have yet to read one sold spec in which the concept was good but the writing quality, poor.

The only one I read that I would rate excellent was a spec rewritten by an A-lister. And let me tell you - it's abundantly clear when an A-lister polishes a script. The quality cannot be denied.

I know CE and others argue that a script reflecting mediocre writing skills can sell if it has a killer concept. While the other camp touts quality above all else.

I'm in the latter camp. Because, no matter how many unique "killer concepts" are there out in the ether of screenwriting, we all know that every concept has its clones making the rounds.

So now your great idea is competing with similar great ideas - what's going to set yours above the others in the eyes of execs: quality.

So - one may say this article is "rudimentary" but it's message permeates every aspect of what we aspire to do.

Last edited by sc111; 11-06-2006, 06:38 AM.
        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I hit the link and read the whole article, and to tell you the truth, it seemed like a subtle advertisement. Telling us people need the new techniques of plotting to succeed, suggesting other things like that...just seems it was at least PARTIALLY suggesting that if you want to sell a blockbuster script...buy Blockbuster.

The only thing I ever used of his was a cassette series on thrillers, and I was extremely disappointed. Usually I can learn at least something from anywhere and everywhere, more often than not I learn a lot, but not with this... maybe it was me. But I was very disappointed.

Maybe he can write a book that can teach me to stop using these three periods ...

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
            Moron.
            That's a technical term there. I'll thank you to call me an imbecile, the way vig used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Pull Back Reveal View Post
              Looked at a few of these articles before, they're so rudimentary it's embarrassing.
              I like the one that says you shouldn't write what you know because George Lucas was never in a space ship.

Comment

Working...
              X