Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Order

I usually outline excessively so when I get around to writing I know everything that's going to happen. Does this mean it's "OK" to write scenes out of order? I'm only asking because I've never tried this; I have the idea that I'll need the previous scenes because things build on each other. Who doesnt tend to write in order and ---- how do you do?
    Smile Is Best Makeup!

-A Grammatically Incorrect Japanese Proverb

Re: No Order

I do this all the time.

I outline on index cards before hand and start writing in order but usually get inspiration to write other scenes, so I do. I then use post-it notes that I'll stick to the index cards to remind myself of changes that won't work with the other scenes because I don't allow myself to go back and rewrite or polish scenes until I've finished the rough draft. I found that I would get stuck in a trap of reading over what I'd written previously and revising.

Everybody works different and you won't know what works for you until you give it a go. Try writing out of order. You can always stop if it doesn't work for you. A quick sports analogy from one of the greatest hockey players ever, Wayne Gretzky: You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Comment

Many pros like to work out of order. Some purposely work backwards from the ending. Others work in any order that suits them, which can be a handy skill if they have to do rewrites while a movie is shooting, (since movies usually shoot out of order.)

Comment

I have an ending first and then work towards that in order.
        "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Working...
        X