What good is a twist if people can guess it?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What good is a twist if people can guess it?

A good movie is one that makes me forget I'm a writer.
    TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
      I also know that ticket sales have been diminishing year after year. True, no? Yeah 2006 was a little better than 2005 - perhaps thanks to POTC2. But overall, ticket sales are still soft.
      And ironically... POTC2 has a twist ending.
      "So I guess big parts of our youth are supposed to suck. Otherwise we'd get too attached and wake up one day trapped on a hamster wheel that used to look like a merri-go-round." - Hal Sparks

Comment

Yes, dp, I think I have in my new script.

The question that the audience is asking themselves is "how in the world is our main character going to kill death" How do you kill death?

At the end of the movie he kills death in a way that I don't think anyone saw coming and saves the day.

I didn't even see it coming, until a friend read the script and said "........" that's how you kill death.

I looked at him and said, holy fauckall, that's freaking brilliant. Thanks. The inspiration comes from the oddest sources.

Still don't know if it will resonate, or even be a twist when someone reads it, but I'm very stoked.

Carry on

Comment

Silly rabbit, twists are for kids.

Actually, I love a good twist; but it can't be a lemon with a twist.

Comment

Good twists are discovered by hours and hours of writing going through countless drafts. If you try to build your story around a twist from the start, then people will see it coming a mile away.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
              Good twists are discovered by hours and hours of writing going through countless drafts. If you try to build your story around a twist from the start, then people will see it coming a mile away.
              Very true. I had a script I had rewritten so many times and yet when I'd get to the end I felt something was missing - then I just rewrote it again and one of the characters came to me with a huge twist in the conclusion I never would of thought of.

Of course I then had to rewrite again to make the twist more logical, but I never would of thought of it initially, so when it happens it's surprising, yet makes sense.
              Smile Is Best Makeup!

-A Grammatically Incorrect Japanese Proverb

Comment

The script I just completed was basically first outlined and drafted around a twist. Then I realized that even though the story was good, the twist was becoming a crutch in a way and the writing becoming forced. What I ended up doing is taking a ten page treatment of this "no one'll guess twist", condensing it down to 15 pages of script and making it the set up of the story... Then I turned plot direction on the protag, gave him some f-ed up decisions to make, and let the characters take over. The twist ended up being the hook.

Story ended up 100% better. Took six months to get it all out but it was worth it.

Comment

Working...
                X