No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Screenwriters in the Sh1t

Originally posted by whistlelock View Post
    Nikkie Finke. hah. she's always been a good source of laughs. Did you ever read about her interactions with Kevin Smith? Now that's comedy gold.
    She's not known as a "people person."

Comment

Originally posted by CutteRug View Post
      If that's a joke,

If it's not,

Cutt-
      Please tell me you're very, very young to not get that movie reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon Squad View Post
        Paul was in a band before Wings.

Comment

Screenwriters ARE the Shiznit!!

Originally posted by Goon Squad View Post
          I'm 36, but I must admit I didn't catch the reference. I was never a huge fan of Animal House. I've seen bits of it dozens of times, but never the whole thing, and never with my full attention.

Please, nobody me. I make the same admission about other greats like 'Caddyshack' and 'Blues Brothers'. They're genius, but not really my cup o tea. . .

Cheers,

Cutt-
          "I've got vision up the butt, so just go with it!" - Dewey Finn, School of Rock

Comment

Originally posted by Marine66 View Post
            She's not known as a "people person."

I'd just mention she writes for the weekly, a free newspaper... No offence but get a job at a newspaper people are willing to pay for and then get the attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Slappynipsy View Post

I'd just mention she writes for the weekly, a free newspaper... No offence but get a job at a newspaper people are willing to pay for and then get the attitude.
              FYI, the LAWeekly, like it's sister paper, The Village Voice, may be weeklies, but they're hardly shoppers. She's been around forever (she once wrote for the LA Times), has lots of sources and is one tough woman. Trust me, the people you're trying to sell to read her.

Comment

But coming up with a list like this is arduous, since few can agree on who’s getting the bread and who’s just toast. “When was the last time it was said about someone, ‘He’s the new Robert Towne?’” a screenwriter tells me. “Maybe Paul Haggis is the new Robert Towne. But the Los Angeles Times should stop the bull**** writing about Charlie Kaufman. The man has yet to be involved in a movie that did the opening night business of Happy Feet.”

Sad that it comes down to business.
                "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneBlackFan View Post
                  But coming up with a list like this is arduous, since few can agree on who’s getting the bread and who’s just toast. “When was the last time it was said about someone, ‘He’s the new Robert Towne?’” a screenwriter tells me. “Maybe Paul Haggis is the new Robert Towne. But the Los Angeles Times should stop the bull**** writing about Charlie Kaufman. The man has yet to be involved in a movie that did the opening night business of Happy Feet.”

Sad that it comes down to business.
                  Yeah, i noticed that quote too. That's one writer talking about another writer.

But the article was about the business of writing within a big money-making industry, it wasn't an article debating aesthetics. And box office is the biggest factor in determining who gets continued work. The whole article was about exploiting the job/money paranoia of writers.

But if that bitchy quote is accurate (it may or may not be), you'd think that one writer would see the value of another writer getting media coverage.

We as writers should WANT other writers getting press coverage. We should want our top writers getting talked about. It puts screenwriters & screenwriting OUT THERE.

When writers such as Eszterhas, Black, R Bass, Kaufman become names, STARS, it helps us all.

A long time ago i read where Ron Bass said it was only gonna get better for writers when they became stars, like actors. When the media knew who they were, & told the public who they were. I think, to a large extent, he was right.

Along w/ making fans inside the industry, i think we need to make a conscious effort to make fans outside the industry as well.

As much as i'm kinda getting sick of hearing about his "manifesto", i think Zach Helm has the right idea. He's getting out there & getting press. We should follow his example if/when we get the chance.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

I don't believe it's all to do with business, there are a number of writers whose work has been compromised yet are able to find work. Conversly, there are writers who have written a script which became a mega hit yet look at their credits, very few films to their name.

Then we get into business of writers who have had their work rewritten by the likes of Frank Darabant yet they get their lone credit. It's so subjective, so convoluted. I wish I didn't turn down the opportunity to meet Frank!

I found the article to be insulting and terribly envious of Kaufman who finds himself in a cosy creative zone; able to write what he wants and every actor fawning over him. Doesn't matter if he's not setting the box office on fire, people want to work with him.
                    "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

I'm always tickled by posts and articles like these. Why? 'Cause for me, this might as well be an article titled "If you're breathing to get paid for it, don't hold your breath!"

And yes, screenwriting is just as natural for me as breathing. If I were William Gates' favorite son, I'd still type "Fade in" every once in a while and let my imagination spin out.

For me, it's a hobbie and a craft simultaneously, and honestly, if it's not that much of a joy for you to write, then maybe, just maybe, you ARE wasting your time.

Now if somebody finds an article that claims constant screenwriting causes cancer, then I'm sh!ttin' bricks!
                      "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
                      - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

i've noticed a coupla pro screenwriters have started dabbling into directing. maybe this (the stats from the article) has something to do with it.
                        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by CutteRug View Post
                          If that's a joke,

If it's not,

Cutt-
                          Don't interrupt him, he's on a roll.

Comment

Charlie Kaufman is a brilliant and original writer who deserves his success because even if other embittered, less successful writers like that bitch who slammed him don't want to admit it, there is a long line of A-list talent waiting to be in one of his movies. Period. Be the gateway between the town and some very special material and you will find the same line outside your door.

For the rest of us, things are changing. Writers aspiring to get work or sell today ideally want to cast a wider net than just sitting at home writing spec scripts and then trying to find an agent or manager. It helps to want to direct or produce. Make a short. Shoot a scene from your screenplay. The proliferation of sites like Youtube has increased the visibility of the amateur filmmaker and reduced the odds for someone in Durham who's hoping an agent in L.A. will put their script at the bottom of the pile. It's an uncomfortable reality for many, but you have to do what you can to increase your odds.

Comment

Working...
                            X