Question for most active Done Deal Posters.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for most active Done Deal Posters.

I'm curious - how come so few of you post pages?

I'm about to post some of mine, btw.
    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Re: Question for most active Done Deal Posters.

I don't know. Too lazy?

Comment

That's a great question. I'd like to see the answer to this too!

Comment

Because it hasn't been registered with the guild yet. That's the only reason for me really.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
          I'm curious - how come so few of you post pages?

I'm about to post some of mine, btw.

Fear.
          Felicitations, malefactors! I am endeavoring to misappropriate the formulary for the preparation of saleable screenplays. WHO WILL JOIN ME!

Comment

I've only got 13 of them, and they're crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
              I don't know. Too lazy?
              You've posted pages in the past, Hammy.

Guess I'm really posing this question to the most active posters who have never shared their own pages on Done Deal.
              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Everyone, bang your fists on the table and chant "Joe! Joe! Joe! Joe!"
                A lovely being, scarcely formed or moulded,
                A rose with all its sweetest leaves yet folded.

Comment

I wonder why so many people post script pages to be ripped apart by anonymous posters with dubious credentionals, or none at all.

Comment

To answer this seriously for me...

My actual "craftmanship" is such that posting five pages would be meaningless on an anonymous board. So I get very little mileage out of that.

And I have a "team" that's a sounding board for ideas and notes.

Plus, I have core friends who are brutally honest about pages I show them. And I only show them after I write the script... and then rewrite it.

But in a diff. issue, I stopped visiting DD pages because it seems like it's the same guy posting the same first five pages of a script about New York for the last six months. That gets very tiring, too.

Comment

Ham -

Re your last sentence. I agree. That's why I was hoping others would post.

Marine -

Further back in Done Deal history the people who commented on pages were less dubious in their own abilities and very helpful. However, as the board has been recently, I do agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
                        To answer this seriously for me...

My actual "craftmanship" is such that posting five pages would be meaningless on an anonymous board. So I get very little mileage out of that.

And I have a "team" that's a sounding board for ideas and notes.

Plus, I have core friends who are brutally honest about pages I show them. And I only show them after I write the script... and then rewrite it.

But in a diff. issue, I stopped visiting DD pages because it seems like it's the same guy posting the same first five pages of a script about New York for the last six months. That gets very tiring, too.
                        Exactly.

I think the script pages forum only helps at a "do I have any clue what I'm doing?" level. Sometimes the answer is "yes" and sometimes the answer should be "no."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Unidos View Post
                          Exactly.

I think the script pages forum only helps at a "do I have any clue what I'm doing?" level. Sometimes the answer is "yes" and sometimes the answer should be "no."
                          Said another way: only the clueless post pages on Done Deal?

Comment

Ham -

Re your last sentence. I agree. That's why I was hoping others would post.

Marine -

Further back in Done Deal history the people who commented on pages were less dubious in their own abilities and very helpful. However, as the board has been recently, I do agree with you.
                            When it comes to commenting on script pages, I think the board is evenly divided between the masochists who post their pages and the sadists who crap on them.

Comment

Said another way: only the clueless post pages on Done Deal?

Not at all.

I think it certainly is more helpful to a newer writer than to a more experienced one. Problems a newer writer might have can be identified in a 5 page excerpt and are generally basic enough that they can be addressed in such a small sample. I don't see how story can be addressed in a five page sample, so it is much more about the basics of format, style and technique. And that is fine. It's a good thing.

I think the pages forum also is beneficial to a more experienced writer who chooses to post their first five pages. Hearing about whether the material grabs readers or not is certainly beneficial and the perceptions about the opening help the writer to understand if he is setting the tone he thinks he is setting.

Comment

Working...
                              X