Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My idea is in development

I'm currently writing a bio pic, and I just learned that a company in Europe has a story on the same person in development.

Should I just give it up? Keep on going?

I have other ideas that I want to work on, but I've come a long way with this one. It kills me to just abandon it, but I also don't want to waste my time.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
    "That's a good idea, Homer, but they've already made a movie about World War II."

Re: My idea is in development

Truman Capote.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine66 View Post
      Truman Capote.
      Sorry, I should have addressed the obvious Capote-based encouragement.

Let's assume there will NOT be two movies made about this person. I believe this will be the case, actually. This is a rather obscure person in history, and I just can't see two movies being made about him.
      "That's a good idea, Homer, but they've already made a movie about World War II."

Comment

Originally posted by Marine66 View Post
        Truman Capote.
        That's just cruel.

It's Elizabeth I, right?

Well, unless researching the subject is really difficult & takes a lot of time, i say keep going. You never know what might happen. Good luck

(edit:

Just wanted to add... i wrote a bio pic about an somewhat obscure modern baseball player. I read about him & thought his story was fascinating. i'm sure the movie will never be made, but it was fun writing it & i learned a lot about screenwriting. So there is value in writing pet projects just for yourself.)

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Biopics are fun to write.

I'm currently developing one... for the last four years.

Comment

Lots of movies have been made about Jesus. (Sorry, wrong thread.)

Comment

Small story...

I once posted this exact same thing when I found out that a comedy I was writing was already in development. Same idea.

The fine people of this board, Boski included, encouraged me to keep writing the script. For many reasons. So I finished it.

And that script became the script that got me a meeting with a top tier management company. A meeting, where I pitched several ideas. One of those that the manager really took to and asked me to script and get back to him asap.

That idea I pitched is what I'm currently re-writing with a fellow DD'er and could, just could...be the project that gets both of us in the game.

So I echo the others with...why NOT finish it?

Good luck.
              S

Comment

Santino, you didn't ask me to rewrite with you? Man, I could'a put jokes in your script. I got jokes. I'll stick 'em in anything: horrors, thrillers, Rocky movies . . .

Two identical twins, Mary and Shari, were arguing upstairs when Mary started ballin'. Mom was cookin' and recognized Mary's cries.

MOM
                Mary get down here!

A few moments later, Mary walked in ballin'.

MOM
                What's wrong, honey?

MARY
                Shari said I was ugly.

Corona
                ETA: Sorry, frank, I forgot to answer the question. I agree. If you're passionate about it, and it seems like you are, write the thing, man. Plus, you've done a lot already. Good luck.
                Last edited by Jcorona; 12-05-2006, 11:00 AM.
                I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

JCorona,

That's pretty funny. Unfortunately though...I do okay with jokes.
                  I needed a partner that could help craft story elements that make the script sing.
                  And lucky for me...I got one. We complement each other well. (In fact, just this morning he told me I have a great a$$ for a ginny.)

S

Comment

There's a world of difference between writing a clever comedy that is playing in the same arena as a comedy in development and biopic. A comedy can be taken in a bunch of different directions. BEVERLY HILLS COP wasn't written for Eddie Murphy but Stallone, I think. And if your story is of an abscure historical figure you might want to pitch the uniqueness of his story rather then the fact that it's a biography. Bottom line if a potential producer isn't interested in period pictures or bios you're limited in who might want to read it. But as an exercise in research and crafting a compelling story from fact, go for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X