Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SC111's posting question

The thread was so long, this might serve as the "To Be Continued" thread.

I posted a couple of 5-page segments from scripts. They got lots of looks but few comments. I didn't know what to make of that. Were they so awful that the readers couldn't bring themselves to respond? So good that they didn't bother to say that either?

I notice that comedy seems to grab the most comments. Understandable. But if you're not doing comedy then why bother?

If you'll notice, most of the more accomplished people on Done Deal say over and over again that most scripts are garbage. Even Creative Exec says he never bothers to read the script pages offered here. So, posting almost makes me feel like I'm in the wrong clique. All the cool kids don't post, because they have a boyfriend who's dad is an agent at CAA -- or something like that. You get my drift.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Re: SC111's posting question

I seldom check the scripts...and I have no family in the biz...directly that is. I have read some from time to time, and given my 2 cents... I admit it's been a long while.

You should try Zoetorpe as well. It might help.

I hear ya...
    Writer / Director available for your project.

Comment

Went looking for your posted scripts. Still there, or did you delete. Gladdly comment on them for you.

A

Comment

Love to read your pages Yvon - sorry I missed them. Post again?

Here's my explanation (excuse?) sometimes I get so caught up in other threads then realize I blew x-hours in discussions (arguments), I skip off.

However, when I do read pages I usually post a response. Sometimes I see other posters have highlighted the same points I would have - in that case I don't post a response.

Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

In order to be a good writer you need confidence. If you have confidence, you don't need feedback - that's part of what confidence is - not needing others to tell you right from wrong.

So just keep writing until you feel like you don't need feedback to know your stuff is the poo poo du jour.

I posted a couple of 5-page segments from scripts. They got lots of looks but few comments. I didn't know what to make of that. Were they so awful that the readers couldn't bring themselves to respond? So good that they didn't bother to say that either?
          Maybe all those looks were from people who didn't feel knowledgable enough to dole out advice.

What do you think about your pages? If you feel they could be better, then make them better until you don't feel that way anymore. I think that you know they're not great, but you're hoping someone will tell you they're great so you don't have to make anymore effort to make them great. Even if you sell the not great script, you'll always know that you could've done better. If that's how you want to live, that's your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqits View Post
            What do you think about your pages? If you feel they could be better, then make them better until you don't feel that way anymore. I think that you know they're not great, but you're hoping someone will tell you they're great so you don't have to make anymore effort to make them great. Even if you sell the not great script, you'll always know that you could've done better. If that's how you want to live, that's your choice.
            That is by far the most pretentious comment I've ever seen on this site. She asked for some feedback on her work -- not for a psychological analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine66 View Post
              That is by far the most pretentious comment I've ever seen on this site. She asked for some feedback on her work -- not for a psychological analysis.
              Ditto

Comment

Ditto.

It's also illogical. Your script will be getting comments and notes from everyone and his grandmother if you get any heat.

What will Sasqits say, "I am a confident writer. I do not need your feedback."

I think I'm pretty confident with my writing although I know I'm still in the proverbial learning curve in regard to screenwriting.

I like the notes and questions people pose on my pages here. They make me think harder, often point out weak spots which I couldn't see because I was too close to it.

Yeah - some feedback is not as good or usable as it could be but that's where your confidence comes in - those notes you disregard.

Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

There is confident, then there is over-confident.

I have found the feedback in this and other forums essential as a sounding board.

There is always a great suggestion or two on how to improve the read, spice up the dialogue, develope a plot/character.

You do yourself a great dis-service by NOT seeking feedback.

A

Comment

Originally posted by sasqits View Post
                    What do you think about your pages? If you feel they could be better, then make them better until you don't feel that way anymore.
                    Become one with your script. Breathe in. Breathe out. Now assume the Prancing Pony position.

Seriously, as others have pointed out, this is absurd. Any writer who eschews feedback, fears editing or disdains criticism is not living in the real world. That's what journals and diaries are for. The last well-known American author who followed the advice of sasqits was Ted "Unabomber" Kaczynski in his Manifesto. At least he's famous.

Comment

Originally posted by Pull Back Reveal View Post
                      Become one with your script. Breathe in. Breathe out. Now assume the Prancing Pony position.

Seriously, as others have pointed out, this is absurd. Any writer who eschews feedback, fears editing or disdains criticism is not living in the real world. That's what journals and diaries are for. The last well-known American author who followed the advice of sasqits was Ted "Unabomber" Kaczynski in his Manifesto. At least he's famous.
                      And I understand he could write a helluva logline!

Comment

Originally posted by Marine66 View Post
                        And I understand he could write a helluva logline!
                        He could. Problem was, he couldn't keep his logline under 5,000 words. But he was definitely in touch with his inner writer.

Comment

Self confidence is also knowing and accepting ones limitations and doubts, or knowing when to seek help, ask a question, and have realistic views of ones work, experience, and abilities.

Self confidence is having a positive attitude about the learning process.

Excessive dependance on approval is not confidence, nor is arrogance.

Got feedback?
                          Last edited by alex whitmer; 12-07-2006, 11:03 PM.

Comment

sasqits also said, "Maybe all those looks were from people who didn't feel knowledgable enough to dole out advice." -- which is a fair enough comment.

Yvonn, I've read your pages and found them competent enough, but having said that, what the heck do I know? Sometimes I've thought of a couple of things to say that I hoped might possibly be useful to you, sometimes I haven't. It's not an exact science.

There are a lot of pages I don't comment on. Not because they suck rocks but because content just doesn't stir me, most likely due to wrong genre. Occasionally, because I think the writer is a friggin nutjob.

-Derek

Comment

At this point, I'll take "competent enough" Derek.

And don't get me wrong, some people did post comments that were very useful. I guess I'm greedy and wanted more.

I'm sure I'll continue to post. And I'll make a greater effort to offer words for every script posting that I read, too.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

Working...
                              X