No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SC111's posting question

Originally posted by sasqits View Post
    In order to be a good writer you need confidence. If you have confidence, you don't need feedback - that's part of what confidence is - not needing others to tell you right from wrong.
    Humm. Sounds to me like someone got their pages shredded.

Hon, you need to learn the difference between confidence and ego. One is a ladder. The other is a brick wall.

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
    There are a lot of pages I don't comment on. Not because they suck rocks but because content just doesn't stir me, most likely due to wrong genre. Occasionally, because I think the writer is a friggin nutjob
    -Derek
    {{going to check pages, sees Derek's comments, lets out a sigh of relief}}

Why.... I almost feel confident!
    "So I guess big parts of our youth are supposed to suck. Otherwise we'd get too attached and wake up one day trapped on a hamster wheel that used to look like a merri-go-round." - Hal Sparks

Comment

yvonn, the reason CE doesn't look at script pages is not because he feels they're garbage. He doesn't like to give advice on pages that are out of context.

I don't feel the same way because I think there is some benifit in getting feedback on say: ones opening pages, action or comedic set piece, a sequence, the inciting incedent scene, a main character introduction scene, whatever.

PS:

Oh, and thanks for pointing out I'm not one of the cool kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Pull Back Reveal View Post
        The last well-known American author who followed the advice of sasqits was Ted "Unabomber" Kaczynski in his Manifesto.

Yeah, but that's not a good example --all his stuff ultimately bombed.

Comment

I ultimately posted pages becasue I only felt it was right to do so in order to comment on other peoples' work. For me, It had nothing to do with confidence, a need for feedback, or any desire for recognition (or lack thereof).

Plus, what's the worst that could happen? -- An insightful comment that actually makes the scene better?
          "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

For whatever this is worth (probably nothing), I never read posted pages that are not the opening X number of pages. I also never read them if I don't get a genre and some rudimentary logline.

I need to know what the writer thinks it is in order to tell if that's what it actually is.

Comment

Re: SC111's... page reader's paradise, (been living all my life)

For the most part when I started reading this thread(and the other one) I thought this was a cry for attention, or for someone to please read my pages, 'I think they're great'.

I agree with CE in a way, even more in saying. How can you tell someone how to write well? All the advice in the world isn't going to help.

If you know structure and format and can't just develop a script and kick out a rough draft in a month or two you're in the wrong Biz. Taking into consideration that Re-Writing, editing, and prose on a page make take a year.

When I used to read the script pages(about three years ago) I felt that the pages were just someone's rambling on a page, no real thought put in them, a 'flavor of the week'. A rough draft, not a passage of a completed script worth even commenting on.

If you haven't learned yet, the internet is full of useless garbage. It's used more for entertainment purposes than anything else.(oh and for hackers and deranged people to stalk others anonymously ... scary isn't it)

PS(or edited) lots of you attacked Sasqits's comments... Do i see a new thread here?
              Last edited by reddery; 12-08-2006, 09:03 AM.
              But this wily god never discloses even to the skillful questioner the whole content of his wisdom.

Comment

I just wanted to jump in here quickly to point out that Sasqits isn't saying anything Terry Rossio and Pogue haven't said dozens of times on Wordplay.

So it's not like he's pulling this stuff out of his arse -- there are pros who share his POV.

(I don't, btw. I like getting peers' reactions to my work.)
                Ralphy's Fvcking Blog

"
                Ever notice how 'monogamy' rhymes with 'monotony'?" -- Christian Troy

Comment

Originally posted by Tony R View Post
                  I just wanted to jump in here quickly to point out that Sasqits isn't saying anything Terry Rossio and Pogue haven't said dozens of times on Wordplay.

So it's not like he's pulling this stuff out of his arse -- there are pros who share his POV.

(I don't, btw. I like getting peers' reactions to my work.)
                  Unless Rossio and Pogue singled out yvonnjanae, you're wrong.

Comment

Did Sasqits single out Yvonnjanae?

Or did he just express his opinion about feedback in general in Yvonn's thread?

Edit: Okay, I guess he did single her out.
                    Ralphy's Fvcking Blog

"
                    Ever notice how 'monogamy' rhymes with 'monotony'?" -- Christian Troy

Comment

I agree that, at some point, a writer has to trust herself and should not need feedback. She's the expert of her story, and all that. If someone has no idea what he's doing, he has not reached that point and feedback is certainly necessary and appropriate. I also think it's important to distinguish between soliciting feedback from peers in the hopes of improving material, and accepting feedback in a professional setting from people who are shaping the material to their own tastes, not helping you shape it to your own.

Comment

Every writer needs feedback. It's the depth of the needed feedback that changes.
                        Last edited by Hairy Lime; 12-08-2006, 10:21 AM. Reason: clarifying.
                        http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Lime View Post
                          Every writer needs feedback. It's the depth of the feedback that changes.

I gotta disagree, Hairy. I think every writer gets feedback and many writers can use feedback, but I don't think every writer needs it.

Comment

Every writer needs it. Some are just too arrogant to admit it.
                            http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

arrogant?

joe???

no way.

just messin joe, you know i love ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Qazworld View Post
                                arrogant?

joe???

no way.

just messin joe, you know i love ya.

I don't count myself among those that don't benefit. It's interesting. I dare say that cinema would be more interesting if more material was a singular vision. I dunno.

Comment

Working...
                                X