Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and great PSYCHIC ACTION THRILLER!

Hi fellow board fans,

I've had a concept in my mind for quite a while and feel that I should bring it to all of you to judge, question and comment on. I've posted concepts on this board before and have been met with good and negative comments (lots of negative comments) but I loved them all. Thanks.

Be honest with me...I'm a big boy now.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Catalyst or The Potentials
    By: fightingcrest

Tagline: We are the present. They are the future. She is the cure.

Logline: A fugitive with psychic abilities tries to rescue a young girl who may act as the catalyst for a corporation's latest evil experiment.

Synopsis: Set in an alternate history in the not-so-distant future, a government issued "vaccine- to combat a new biological threat causes adverse side effects in the form of increased intellect and mental abilities in certain people. An employee of the company and sufferer of the side effect, Devon Xiang, develops increased mental abilities at an alarming rate. With abilities such as telekinesis, Astro Projection, and Precognition she becomes a force to be reckoned with and an inspiration to developing psychics.
    Its just a concept so tell me the GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY.
    Thierry C.

Re: New and great PSYCHIC ACTION THRILLER!

Your synopsis only covers the "psychic abilities" part of your logline. I really like what you have so far as far as setup concept, but the remainder of your logline doesn't grab me at all. A fugitive? From the government I'm assuming? Then you have this evil corporation... So this woman uses her developing psychic powers to... rescue a girl from a bad corp's laboratories?

Seems a little disconnected to me. Maybe instead the woman should be biting the hand that fed her the vaccine. Replace the corp with goverment. But what are the experiments? It should be psychic-mind-powers related. Maybe they are actually just studying her - dunno, just typing outloud. ANYway, there should be more of a connection between her new found abilities and her goal.

my first reactionary 2 cents
    Last edited by gregsonfilm; 12-22-2006, 08:21 PM. Reason: ocd

Comment

Welcome back Thiery. Been a while.

I like some of the stuff you got there. Have you written any of it yet in screenplay format? Maybe you can post a few pages.
      Writer / Director available for your project.

Comment

The Concept I have now is much different than what I have in script format because I haven't even touched this one in a while (since The Sleeping Soldiers if anyone remmebers that).

My idea basically went like this: There are two "types" of humans in the story.
        Norms and Potentials.

Humans have normal brain functions, hence the title "Norm", while the brain function of Potentials are unstable and eventually develop into special abilities.

The human government sees this as a threat and begins to abuse the civil rights of the Potentials. They basically become 2nd class citizens over time until it becomes a way of life.

My story will start off with a brief scene from the past showing our protag when she's "normal", how she becomes a Potential, and subsequently, a Psychic.

The film will revolve around Devon and her quest to destroy the corporation. She learns that there is a human weapon being developed to match the same abilities as the psychics and must find and destroy it before the weapon acts as a catalyst towards global psychic vs human war.

There is a HUGE plot twist in this film that I've thought up and donot want to release because ie basically gives away my catch but just know that the bio-threat is not an act of nature.
        Thierry C.

Comment

The whole thing sounds interesting, but vaguely derivative of X-Men and Ultraviolet. Again, that's just a reaction, but since Hollywood can be a very reactionary place, I thought I'd share it.

I do like the names - "Norm" and "Potential". That's cool. Even cooler than "Human" and "Mutant" from X-Men

I think the most interesting element you have here is the name "Potential" and the fact that their brain functions are "unstable". What could set you apart from X-Men, UV, and other *super-hero* flicks would be if that *potential unstability* could go either way - to the *enhanced* end of the spectrum (telepathy, astro-projection, etc.) OR the *depleted* end - (autism, psychosis, etc.)

There's a phrase in fantasy/sci-fi writing that Orson Scott Card uses - it's "the price of magic", meaning there's always a rub.

If you have a more unique *rub* to your story then just the "we're persecuted by meanie humans because we're different" angle, then you could really make something special.

Just my oh two.

Good luck with it.

Cutt-
          "I've got vision up the butt, so just go with it!" - Dewey Finn, School of Rock

Comment

I share the same sentiments as CutteRug. I haven't seen UV but I couldn't live myself if I did. I liked Resident Evil but when I saw the trailer for UV, whoaw.
            Back to your story. Out of the Xmen franchise, yours is closely related to the third one. Have Devon assasinate the child instead of a rescue mission.
            The film will revolve around Devon and her quest to destroy the corporation. She learns that there is a human weapon being developed to match the same abilities as the psychics and must find and destroy it before the weapon acts as a catalyst towards global psychic vs human war.
            Has Devon embraced her abilities? Why is she out to destroy this corporation when the corporation didn't do anything directly to her? Does she want to be the only ultimate Potential so she has to assisinate the other one. OOOHHH! what if there is a bidding war between the two? One could represent the good and the other the evil. Both possesing the same power. They must do something to prove their worth. I don't know how I got to this sentence...
            Going back to my original thought, I think you can model this like XMEN 3 with different goals and different powers. But make sure that the story comes back to serve Devon; either to lose the powers or put it to good use. If she chooses the latter, she must lose something extremely important to her, a-la Peter Parker and Mary Jane.

Oh and for not revealing the twist to anyone, which is totally understandable, I've withheld info in the past, uhhh, oh yeah, you won't know if it is a twist unless you test it out. And you don't even have to tell us it's a twist. Just write it out in the synopsis and see what type of reactions you get. Then you can have a better gauge on what you need to work on.

Comment

Great feedback from all of you. Thanks guys. I knew this was the pl;ace to come.

To the story...
              When I thought of this story I wanted to have an alternate history where Potentials are kind of sub servants to the Norms. The thing with Devon is she knows that the Potentials are more than just "different".

The first Synopsis was one way I wanted to have the story but another was that it could start off in the not so distant future (10-15 years from now) where Potentials either serve Norms or have lower class jobs. No one questions the morality in this because its just a common thing. I wanted to have the whole bio-threat and vaccine thing happen earlier on, maybe 20-30 years ealier.

What'd ya think, guys?
              Thierry C.

Comment

Working...
              X