Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Hero's Journey?

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum...I'm currently working on a screenplay about two 19th century killers, and would like to try a Hero's Journey for them, although of course they are evil! So...does anyone have any examples or any suggestions on how I can switch up the steps of the hero's journey a bit for the use of a bad main character? I know it probably wouldn't seem very different...

Thanks,
    Sarah

Re: Anti-Hero's Journey?

There'd be no difference. Applies to your protagonist -- the character we watch with interest trying to achieve something after life's balance has been upset -- doesn't matter whether your protagonist has goals or values we agree with. Protagonist is your main character, not always synonymous with "the good guy."

Comment

...in on the same track as "Pull Back Reveal". I've just read "The writer's journey" by Christopher Vogler and there is an example of the hero's journey from Pulp Fiction. Vincent and Jules are certainly not "god guys", but it works anyway.

/H

Comment

That's what I thought....Oh, but Zarakow, could you scan that page of the book for PF and email it to me or post on here? Would really appreciate it.

PS - I was such a huge Quentin Tarantino fan throughout my teenage years. He actually wrote to me when I was just 13...check it out: Letter

Comment

Cool letter.
          And welcome to DD.

Comment

Originally posted by SBC83 View Post
            Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum...I'm currently working on a screenplay about two 19th century killers, and would like to try a Hero's Journey for them, although of course they are evil! So...does anyone have any examples or any suggestions on how I can switch up the steps of the hero's journey a bit for the use of a bad main character? I know it probably wouldn't seem very different...

Thanks,
            Sarah
            It's no different. Look at Clockwork Orange, the Protag does these abhorrent acts yet we still give a damn about his journey. Who do we hate? The people trying to make him better.
            "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Was QT six when he sent that?
              One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by SBC83 View Post

PS - I was such a huge Quentin Tarantino fan throughout my teenage years. He actually wrote to me when I was just 13...check it out: Letter
                Nice to see your letter

Comment

Lovley.
                  Favrote
                  Itallion.

Best. Letter. Ever.
                  "I believe that discrimination exists in Hollywood, but ... its much less of an obstacle then poor writing, poor marketing, poor networking and being a whiny little bitch." -- JKK

Comment

"In Cold Blood" with Sam Neill,Eric Roberts

Comment

Yeah, I know...apparently he cannot spell for. his. life.
                      Sorvino wrote a note on her 8x10 to me as well that came along with his thing...this was around '96, back when they were dating. She, of course, was much more eloquent than Mr. T.

Comment

Spelling is overrated, like a big sandwich. You ever have a big sandwich? I make them all the time. They are so freaking big, my big sandwich.

I love big sandwiches.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneBlackFan View Post
                          It's no different. Look at Clockwork Orange, the Protag does these abhorrent acts yet we still give a damn about his journey. Who do we hate? The people trying to make him better.
                          Is that what you really think is going on in Clockwork... they are trying to help him?

I think in someways the movie points out how society made him who he was. They reveal later on how the people that tried to 'kill him' were doing it for political gain. The extreem examples are driven home to show a very centered theme.

Even more to the point of the thread, your protagonist/hero's journey is basically a character arch that can used or manipulated for any type of character.

Jesus had an character arc, so did Ghandi, Muhammad, Saddam Hussein, Hitler, Ghengis Khan, Vlad the Impaler.

Content has nothing to do with telling a story. Content has to do with selling a story.
                          But this wily god never discloses even to the skillful questioner the whole content of his wisdom.

Comment

Well, aren't "anti-Hero" and "Villain" different things though?

Does anyone have any movie examples where one character starts off as the "Villain" ...

... and then (either by plot device or the fact that the "Villain" is so damn conflicted and fascinating of a character) we realize that the Villain is in fact our Hero?

Not just that the Villain was "misunderstood" ... but that they've changed and are now Heroic?

Or is that character suicide and bad writing? Can a movie audience ACCEPT an evil villain becoming the good guy ... and the Hero being the foil? (Other than in a purely Twilight Zonian TWIST) ???
                            sigpic
                            "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                            that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                            -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Face Off
                              Did you see the Crime and Punishment from DOSZTOJEVSZKIJ?
                              mico736
                              New User
                              Last edited by mico736; 01-05-2007, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X