if you're introducing a short amount of text at the begining of your script...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if you're introducing a short amount of text at the begining of your script...

how do you do that? you know, if you are giving a brief introdcution about what you need to know going into the story

Re: if you're introducing a short amount of text at the begining of your script...

What amount of info do you want to give? Is it a simple description, like: LOS ANGELES, 2015...?

Or, is it more? Can this info be revealed a little at a time during the screenplay? Why is it important to the reader?

Just some things to ask yourself and think about... you may need to explain here what it is you need to convey.
    Writer / Director available for your project.

Comment

Re: if you're introducing a short amount of text at the begining of your script...

well.. I didn't want to put this in at the beginning. It's just a short paragraph that gives a quick background on something the reader/viewer whoever needs to know before going into the story. It honestly is something I could fit in somehwere, but it just makes more sence to do it like this. It makes the story flow better. It would be too confusing to stick it in somewhere during the story because its something you need to know right off and I just think it makes it kind of interesting. It's not something I want to show visually

Comment

Try to avoid this if possible.

Why?

It may be efficient, but it is passive -- Both visually and as far as your screenwriting style goes. You want to convey... Show... As much exposition as possible through action and dialog where appropriate.

The only time I use the text-on-screen approach it is if it is completely non-character essential -- Doesn't help build character background -- And simply sets the stage like in a historical epic like the beginning of "Gladiator". This opening text that tells us the state of the Roman Empire and where the actual first scene of the story takes place, Germania.

As to how you do... There is no right or wrong way, IMO.

You can simply write:

TITLES OVER BLACK.

(and then write the expository paragraphs. keep them short and conscise).

FADE IN: (to the opening scene/Slugline)

BTW... If you chose the text-on-screen approach... Don't add a V.O. (Voice Over) because it is sensory overload for the audience and is redundant. Most people can read and this is what helps makes it a semi-active open because it engages them from the first few seconds it takes to read it from that point on.
        Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

that's essentially what I'm doing. Setting up about what the reader needs to know about the situation. (yeah just like in Gladiator or Star Wars or whatever) so I feel better about it now. Yeah I thought about doing a V.O. for a second but then I figured it would just be crap.

It is short and I'm cutting it down further

I have a copy of Final Draft although I'm confused on some aspects of that program I couldn't figure out how to do it from there

Comment

Originally posted by jewishhoodrat View Post
            that's essentially what I'm doing. Setting up about what the reader needs to know about the situation. (yeah just like in Gladiator or Star Wars or whatever) so I feel better about it now. Yeah I thought about doing a V.O. for a second but then I figured it would just be crap.

It is short and I'm cutting it down further

I have a copy of Final Draft although I'm confused on some aspects of that program I couldn't figure out how to do it from there
            Use the regular paragraph formatting button and none of the specialized ones. You will have to manually center (space) the paragraphs, but it works better in terms of screenwriting asthetics.
            Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

i know this is off topic... but do you know about how old everyone is on this board? I was really curious and didn't want to make yet another topic

Comment

Originally posted by jewishhoodrat View Post
                i know this is off topic... but do you know about how old everyone is on this board? I was really curious and didn't want to make yet another topic
                Why is age important? This is a writer's forum not myspace.
                Writer / Director available for your project.

Comment

its not important I'm just curious

Comment

Working...
                  X