No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: handling epics

Originally posted by Pull Back Reveal View Post
    Few dozen instigators, maybe. But the protests and, yes, controversy over whether to reprint the cartoons was front-page news for weeks.

From wikipedia:

Cartoon controversy

A consumer boycott was organised in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and other Middle East countries. For weeks, numerous notable demonstrations and other protests against the cartoons took place worldwide. Rumours spread via SMS and word-of-mouth. On February 4, 2006, the Danish and Norwegian embassies in Syria were set ablaze, though with no injuries. In Beirut, the Danish Embassy was set on fire, leaving one protester dead. Altogether, at least 139 people were killed in protests, mainly in Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
    Several death threats and reward offers for killing those responsible for the cartoons have been made, resulting in the cartoonists going into hiding. Four ministers have resigned amidst the controversy, among them Roberto Calderoli and Laila Freivalds. In India, Haji Yaqoob Qureishi, a minister in Uttar Pradesh state government announced in February 2006 a cash reward of Rs 51 crore (roughly about US$11 million) for anyone who beheads the Danish cartoonist who caricatured Prophet Mohammad. Condoleezza Rice, Secretary of State of the United States of America has accused Iran and Syria of organizing many of the recent protests in Iran, Syria and Lebanon.
    Must have been a slow day for news.

Comment

Originally posted by deadeye View Post
      Must have been a slow day for news.
      Nah, but it made great front-page art with burning embassies, howling protesters and the cartoons themselves.

Remember when SOUTH PARK depicted the prophet? No fatwas or burning embassies. Maybe the imans don't get Comedy Central.

Comment

Originally posted by Pull Back Reveal View Post

Remember when SOUTH PARK depicted the prophet? No fatwas or burning embassies. Maybe the imans don't get Comedy Central.
        or they didnt care since south park did it before the iraq war.

Comment

Originally posted by Qazworld View Post
          or they didnt care since south park did it before the iraq war.
          You're right, Muslim extremists weren't as emboldened (or touchy) a while ago, but Rushdie's fatwa was still active ... and every time the syndicated episode airs, another chance to provoke Muslim rage. Just throwing that out there.

Comment

Wasn't there some recent controversy over a theater (in London?) wanting to stage a Mozart opera ... featuring the decapitated head of the Prophet Muhammed (hopefully, not a singing role) ???

I remember some TV show where they said Anthony Quinn was in some movie where, because the Prophet was depicted, radicals took a building hostage in Washington DC. People were killed.

Oddly, though, I once had a book of Persian Art, where they had paintings of the Prophet riding up into Paradise. So is the prohibition maybe cultural, or recent history (well, centuries ago 'recent') ???

Priests used to marry, they say ... then it fell into disfavour, then was banned?
            sigpic
            "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
            that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
            -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Originally posted by tabula rasa View Post
              Wasn't there some recent controversy over a theater wanting to stage a Mozart opera ... featuring the decapitated head of the Prophet Muhammed (hopefully, not a singing role) ???
              yea, in germany. it was going to be shown after this cartoon situation, but they didnt go thru w it. so that was a preemptive thing on the part of the theater.

I remember some TV show where they said Anthony Quinn was in some movie where, because the Prophet was depicted, radicals took a building hostage in Washington DC. People were killed.
              that was over the movie "the message" - there was some outcry before it was released, and the Nation of Islam (or maybe it was offshoot of it) took over that building. to my knowledge, there wasnt anything after the movie was released since muhammad was never actually shown in the movie (they did it in a really clever way actually).

Oddly, though, I once had a book of Persian Art, where they had paintings of the Prophet riding up into Paradise. So is the prohibition maybe cultural, or recent history (well, centuries ago 'recent') ???
              the prohibition isnt cultural, its actually ingrained in islam. muslim depictions of him therefore are cultural not religiously founded.

Comment

(they did it in a really clever way actually).
                Wasn't he placed just off screen and blocked by large palm branches?

I think you see his hand a couple of times. The South Park episode had the Prophet barred out didn't they?
                One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by OzFade View Post
                  Wasn't he placed just off screen and blocked by large palm branches?
                  i dont remember that. but they would occasionally go to his POV and just have other ppl react to him.

it honestly worked.

i liked that movie.

I think you see his hand a couple of times. The South Park episode had the Prophet barred out didn't they?
                  the original episode showed him.

Comment

Originally posted by Qazworld View Post
                    the original episode showed him.
                    Yeah he was flying around with the rest of the Super Best Friends. I know I saw it in syndication within the last six months (local station) and nothing was blocked or fuzzed.

Comment

Ah okay now I remember

Comment

Originally posted by OzFade View Post
                        Ah okay now I remember
                        I haven't watched new South Parks for a couple years though, might have been one since that mocked the forbidden depiction.

Comment

Yeah well actually it was about Family Guy showing the Prophet.

And then a whole other story about Cartman trying to get Family Guy cancelled because he hates the show.

Comment

Working...
                          X