No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handling epics

Hi all,

I normally write low budget scripts, I’ve handled 3 medium budget scripts and one epic. For the epic I had to make research for 9 months.

Now I want to write another epic. I’m coming dry when I write outline. I ain’t F. F. Coppola or David lean but I’m aiming at something of 150 to 180 pages. I need to make an outline of a minimum 120 plot points (yeah, I’m an outline Guy). The pressure is getting to my head.

Anyone here who deals with epic screenplays please suggest me some tips.

regards,
    Gururaj Deshpande

Re: handling epics

Gulino breaks "Lawrence of Arabia" down into 16 sequences and an intermission, which is maybe a little easier to keep track of than 120 plot points. You might want to get a copy of "Screenwriting: The Sequence Approach" if you don't already have one.

But what I really want to say is, if you need tips, maybe you shouldn't be writing 180-page epics. Too cynical? So sorry.

-Derek

Comment

Sounds like you are not ready to write such an epic yet. Stick to writing what you are good at and keep progressing but who am I to tell you? You gotta do what you gotta do, pal.
      "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Jeesus ****in Christ.

Never let statistics put you off.

Comment

so far I have reached to over 50 plot points in my outline overnight. I need 70 more. from here on it is going to be tough.

regards,
          Gururaj Deshpande

Comment

I'd say watch a whole bunch of big epic movies like yours and analyze their plot points (if that's what yer into) and think about why you like them and what you like about your story. Then write.

And maybe just because it's epic doesn't mean it needs to be 180 pages.

And if you're really into your story, ignore people who say you shouldn't be doing it. They don't understand you.

Comment

Ignore the people telling you not to write it. My very first feature was a Samurai epic when I was 18.

Comment

Of course, you must watch the daddy of all epics, Lawrence of Arabia. Good luck with it.
                "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

I now have 65 scenes. I need another 55. I got the ziest for 35. we'll see how days go.

p:s:
                  I almost got myself killed, I found out that it is prohibited to portray Muhammad the prophet in any art form in Islam. So I have come up with a different strategy.

This saved my life. I was wondering why Napolean Bonaparte made 197 appearences in films, followed by Jesus Christ at 152 and Muhammad not even in one. Then I remembered the controversy created in Britain because they used Muhammad the prophet in a comic strip..

Regards,
                  Gururaj Deshpande

Comment

I almost got myself killed, I found out that it is prohibited to portray Muhammad the prophet in any art form in Islam. So I have come up with a different strategy.
                    His brother Jiff appears in the film instead?

-Derek

Comment

Then I remembered the controversy created in Britain because they used Muhammad the prophet in a comic strip..
                      Denmark. Not Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by fubar View Post
                        Denmark. Not Britain.
                        They were Danish cartoons, but it was the decision to later reprint them in British, Italian, French and other countries that sparked rallies and violence in, among other countries, Britain. So mailgururaj could be entirely accurate when he says that's the controversy he remembers.

Comment

You're right of course

Comment

Originally posted by fubar View Post
                            Denmark. Not Britain.
                            There was no controvesy in Britain. Or Demark. You had a few dozen mental cases making a lot of noise. And it worked, and those few dozen are loving it.

Comment

Originally posted by deadeye View Post
                              There was no controvesy in Britain. Or Demark. You had a few dozen mental cases making a lot of noise. And it worked, and those few dozen are loving it.
                              Few dozen instigators, maybe. But the protests and, yes, controversy over whether to reprint the cartoons was front-page news for weeks.

From wikipedia:

Cartoon controversy

A consumer boycott was organised in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and other Middle East countries. For weeks, numerous notable demonstrations and other protests against the cartoons took place worldwide. Rumours spread via SMS and word-of-mouth. On February 4, 2006, the Danish and Norwegian embassies in Syria were set ablaze, though with no injuries. In Beirut, the Danish Embassy was set on fire, leaving one protester dead. Altogether, at least 139 people were killed in protests, mainly in Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
                              Several death threats and reward offers for killing those responsible for the cartoons have been made, resulting in the cartoonists going into hiding. Four ministers have resigned amidst the controversy, among them Roberto Calderoli and Laila Freivalds. In India, Haji Yaqoob Qureishi, a minister in Uttar Pradesh state government announced in February 2006 a cash reward of Rs 51 crore (roughly about US$11 million) for anyone who beheads the Danish cartoonist who caricatured Prophet Mohammad. Condoleezza Rice, Secretary of State of the United States of America has accused Iran and Syria of organizing many of the recent protests in Iran, Syria and Lebanon.

Comment

Working...
                              X