No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: eye opening experience/filmmaking

Originally posted by amandag View Post
    I'm friends with Corona on leap-year Thursdays. It's worth every penny! (except when he pencils me in on the 29th, but that only happens when he has better things to do, such as making coffee can stilts for his other leap-year friends. Too rich for my blood!)
    amanda, you're like that little sister I never had. You got a friend in me 366 days a year . . .

That's right. I said it. It's okay to be nice on a message board.

And Sundancer, I just called my best friend to tell him you've just replaced him.

Corona
    I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
    I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

I helped shoot a 20min short a few years ago, based on a script by a bunch of 4th graders at my daughter's school. We had a professional screenwriter/director, a professional TV cameraman and a professional movie props guy and I did everything else, including acting.

The kids were a nightmare, the locations didn't work, the weather was awful, we had lighting problems, my acting was dreadful, the scary monster wasn't scary and, by the end of the four day shoot, none of us adults were talking to each other.

However, I look back at the production with very fond memories...
      TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Lime View Post
        Tabby. Any basic "how to storyboard" tutorial will explain how you can storyboard camera movements. It's not a limitation of the storyboard. Storyboards are only limited by imagination --
        Yeah, that was my point, I knew how to draw the pan arrows and the connecting shots between boxes: I was just coming off a habit of drawing comix and it took a day of "wait, this isn't right" to realize I had (exactly as you said) to step away from my perfectly drawn lil storyboards and let the camera flow.

I'd planned with the storyboards without imagining for the camera.

Laying down the storyboards is very spontaneous, creative, and liberating. I had an insane number of camera set ups I didn't really need. But ...

That's scary too, because then it's "What if I miss a connecting shot?" To which the answer is (let's all say it together!) Coverage and something to Cut Away to!

I just read in some magazine how, when they were shooting CASABLANCA, there's the shot where she asks Sam to play As Time Goes By ("their" song) ... Sam looks to Bogart ... Bogart nods it's okay to play it, to play the forbidden song. Classic moment. But when they shot the nod, supposedly no one knew how it would be used, it was just "Bogey, look over there and nod. We might need something like that."

Another thing I realized is: I was drawing my storyboards too well, I was entangling myself by trying to make the storyboards look too finished: drawing them more like DIAGRAMS and simple figures reminds me -- it's just a suggestion for the camera to START with, a starting point for cast and crew -- not an image I need to capture exactly.

So yeah: experience is vital. Everyone should give it a shot.
        sigpic
        "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
        that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
        -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

No video camera? Try making a movie with a still camera. (This is kind of like storyboards for people who can't draw worth beans) - there's a name for those comic books that use photos, but I can't remember it right now.

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Fumetti. There used to be a bunch of fumetti soap operas in Puerto Rico -- but i think it's an Italian word?
            sigpic
            "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
            that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
            -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Buy a video camera from Circuit City and return it within 30 days like the guy from MY DATE WITH DREW.

I just graduated, so I no longer have equipment privileges at my college.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
              - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                Why I suggest every screenwriter make a short silent film.

- Bill
                I'm going to be doing that once the weather gets somewhat decent (which won't be until spring). It's going to be a 5 minute short with only 4 or 5 lines of dialogue at the end, but is otherwise silent.

I'll post my experience once it happens.

PS: Luckily, both myself and my writing partner work for a TV station, so we get free use of professional equipment, as long as nobody else needs it and we don't break it.

Comment

I heard of a guy in South Africa who used his cell phone camera to create
                  a short movie. Anything is possible.

Comment

Just Do It.

What Charli said: The thing is not to find reasons why you can't do it, but find ways that you can. There is a way to do *anything* you want to do. No movie camera - use a still camera... or your phone's camera... or draw pictures and make a flip book.

- Bill
                    Free Script Tips:
                    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Working...
                    X