Perceived location vs. Actual location...how to write slugs/transitions?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perceived location vs. Actual location...how to write slugs/transitions?

So, I am writing a short in which a young boy has an overactive imagination. When it starts we are in the boy's back yard with him, but when he looks around the corner of the house I want to indicate that what he sees is another location/time/experience (his fantasy), not the rest of his back yard.

I tried it this way:

EXT. BACK YARD - DAY

A young boy, JOHN DOE (11), peers around the corner of his house.

EXT. JOHN DOE'S POV - LARGE PARKING LOT - DAY

Cars whip in and out of parking spaces.

EXT. BACK YARD - DAY

John pulls his head back, he picks up his book bag and walks around the corner.

EXT. JOHN DOE'S POV - LARGE PARKING LOT - DAY

etc. etc. etc.

I was trying to find the right way to transition back and forth, does this work? Is there a better way? Am I even making any sense?

Thanks for any help,
    Larry

Re: Perceived location vs. Actual location...how to write slugs/transitions?

Could try something like...

EXT. BACK YARD - DAY

A young boy, JOHN DOE (11), peers around the corner of his house and sees --

EXT. A LARGE PARKING LOT (FANTASY)

EXT. BACK YARD

or

EXT. BACK YARD - DAY

A young boy, JOHN DOE (11), peers around the corner of his house and sees --

A LARGE PARKING LOT (FANTASY)

BACK TO SCENE

There are dozens, even hundreds of ways to write a scene like this. What's most important is clarity.

Comment

Working...
    X